Former national champion helps students at EC

Being honored as one of the best badminton player from Scotland, John Britton, badminton and soccer coach, was invited to attend a banquet and received praise at Scotland at the 100th anniversary of Scottish badminton.

He was honored by Prince Edward as a member of one of the top two men’s doubles team in the last 100 years.

Aside from receiving the Scottish honor, Britton has also been inducted into the badminton hall of fame, as well as the EC Athletic Hall of Fame accompanied by his daughter Jaymie Baquero and his wife Traci Britton, both former national champions.

“I guess this makes us the first three members of the same family to make it into the EC Hall of Fame,” he said jokingly. “I’ll try getting my son in there too, even though he’s never played.”

Although Britton confessed that he was not very good at giving interviews, after settling down, he began to open up about his life as an athlete as well as a badminton and soccer coach, attributing the success of his career to his parents.

“As opposed to American parents, my parents never forced me to stick to one particular sport and encouraged me to play whatever I liked,” Britton said. “I was lucky enough that I got good at some of them and joined good teams.”

At the age of 10, Britton began playing badminton, which he picked up from his mother, who he described as, “the best badminton player of her era.”

Baquero, assistant soccer coach, described him as a devoted teacher who spends most of his time learning new and interesting ways of teaching the same thing to his players.

“He’s a great coach,” Baquero said. “He has the playing experience and he’s coached for many years, so he definitely knows his stuff. He’s constantly watching games and reading soccer magazines to get new information and new ideas.”

As a father, Baquero described him as loving and supportive father who is always encouraging.

“He’s always cracking jokes, he makes sure we’re taken care of,” she added. “We still go to games together. He’s great.”

While most people might assume that juggling two coaching positions simultaneously could be a challenge for him, Britton said the help and support of the athletic and equipment staff makes all the difference.

Over the years as an athlete, Britton has also played tennis, water polo, rugby and soccer, joining several teams that competed nationally as well as internationally.

“I honestly don’t have a favorite sport,” Britton said. “Any sport I play and have managed to avoid injury or pain is my favorite sport.”