Badminton team gets shutout by Pasadena City College

Going into a game against the winner of the 2010 Southern California championship, the team tried to remain enthusiastic and optimistic.

“We’re an optimistic team, we always try to stay positive,” badminton player Tanille Barnes said. “We just try to have fun, while learning something new.” 

Despite the team’s optimism, the Warriors lost 21-0 against the Pasadena City College Lancers.

For the next match the team will be playing against the Compton College Tartars at home next Wednesday at 3 p.m.

The defeat, however, came as no surprise for coach John Britton.

Britton said the Lancers are the best team in the league.

According to the South Coast Conference 2010 women’s badminton standings report, Pasadena City College ranked No. 1 with 11 wins and only one loss.

The EC players have been working on improving their clear shots, which is a shot hit deep to the opponent’s back court. 

Barnes said the Lancers were very good at it during the match.

“We have been working really hard on that but we are having trouble with it,” she said. “But we do need a lot more practice.”  

Another factor of the shutout vs. the Lancers might have been the loss of Kumiko Noguchi, who is the Warriors’ best player.

“We were playing without our No. 1, player so everyone else kind of had to step up a little,” Britton said. 

Another one of the teams’ more experienced players, Yokino Noro, was confident in the teams progress despite the loss Friday.

Badminton player Vanessa Ried was proof that the team was getting better with every match it played, Britton said.

“I’ve been going to every practice session and I can feel myself getting better at the game,” Reid said. “It feels good to know that I’m helping and that I am now getting to a point where I can help others who don’t really understand the game.”