Shorthanded softball team loses to East L.A. College

With infielder Nicolette Royal and pitcher Mea Flores headlining the five players who were not able to play due to personal matters or injuries, the Warriors were shorthanded from the get-go, resulting in a disappointing loss against East L.A. College.

“I don’t think there’s been a game that we’ve been at full strength with everybody,” assistant coach Tony Flores said.

The Warriors have a home game against Long Beach City today at 3 p.m.

“Defensively I thought we played very well,” coach Susie Calderon said. “The infield is looking better everyday.”

With only two errors, the softball team cleaned up its game; one of the two errors was the cause of a pickle between third and home base and after seven throws it ended in an overthrow.

Despite the tidy game, the team lost 8-0 in four innings and the game did not continue due to the mercy rule. 

Flores will bat in the next game and will not pitch in the upcoming game due to an arm injury that has been plaguing her for a couple weeks; Flores has the lowest ERA in the conference with a 1.40.

“We’ve really been struggling all year with our hitting,” Calderon said. “We haven’t been very consistent.”

The Warriors’ only hit was produced by  catcher Camille Redman who also had one walk.

“Basically it comes down to hits, we have to hit and we have to score runs,” Flores said. “You get three of your sticks back and it’s going to help.”

The three other players who were not able to play were outfielders Georgina Silva and Ivana Verdin, and infielder Michelle Lopez-Rodriguez.

“I didn’t do as well as I wanted to,” Sara Gazzaniga, pitcher, said. “ I don’t think I was on like I was over the weekend.”

Gazzaniga allowed 12 hits but didn’t walk a player.

“I don’t think I had a lot of spin on my ball when I was pitching,” Gazzaniga said.

Most of the runs scored by East L.A. College were in the third inning giving the Warriors little time to catch up.

The team could not play or practice on its home field for more than a week due to the dugout being repaired and the field being too wet.

The players are not focusing offensively; they need to select good pitches and make adjustments according to the pitchers Calderon said.

“When you hit, you’re going to win, that‘s it,” Calderon said.