Diving team makes strides while the swimming team falters

Although the swimmers failed to bring home a win, diver Michael Colbert had an exceptional day for the Warriors.
Colbert finished with a final score of 106.85 for a first place finish at Pasadena  City College Friday, as the Warriors competed against both Mt. San Antonio College and PCC.
For its next meet, the teams will be heading up north to San Luis Obispo for the Cuesta Invitational hosted by Cuesta College tomorrow and Saturday.
“I like the place we are in considering how hard we have been training,” coach Corey Stanbury said.
While Colbert took the win, diver Amy Tran also did well by scoring 106.80, a huge step from her 76.65 point at the previous Mt. Sac meet.
“I’m really excited because I keep improving on my dives week by week and this is the first time I did all of my dives really well,” Tran said.
The men’s swim team lost to PCC 187-75 and lost to Mt. SAC 216-51.
The women’s team lost to PCC 161-91 and lost to Mt. SAC 200-66.
“We have been working really hard this whole week,” Stanbury said. “I’m not worried about this meet because we already knew the end result. Pasadena and Mt. SAC are both really strong.”
Swimmer Amanda Atkins was one of the few bright spots for the swim team, placing second in the 1,000-yard free style and fourth in the 500-yard free style.
“I felt sick and sluggish overall and very tired,” Atkins said. “A lot of people are sick. I feel that the team is doing well and working hard.”
Consistency and health have been improving with the swim team since its first meet; about 26 swimmers showed up at the PCC Pentathlon as opposed to the 14 who swam at the South Coast Conference Pentathlon at Cerritos City College.
“I feel really fatigued, but that’s exactly how (Stanbury) wants us to feel, so it’s OK,” swimmer Amanda Sloss said.