Warriors clinch conference title

After the Warriors beat the East Los Angeles Huskies 6-2 last Thursday, the team celebrated, thinking that it was one step closer to becoming South Coast Conference champions.
The Warriors weren’t aware that due to a decision by the SCC, the team was already champions.
Once they realized they were the champions, players began running all over the field, jumping on one another, popping apple cider champagne and pouring the water cooler on the coaches.
“It feels great, especially because these guys worked so hard and it was their goal to do it and to put in their effort and become conference champions,” Coach Nate Fernley said.
On Thursday’s game against East L.A. at Cal State Los Angeles, Kyle Petter earned his seventh conference victory, striking out six with four walks and allowed five hits in seven scoreless innings. He finished the season 11-0.
“Early on, I felt a little shaky; I was up on the zone, but I battled through and was able to pitch seven shutout innings and let my defense play behind me,” Petter said.
Petter also contributed with three hits and four RBIs.
Catcher Aaron Deguire had three hits and an RBI and Josh Thompson had three stolen bases.
The Huskies attempted to rally back in the eighth, having runners in scoring position three times, resulting in two runs.
“We didn’t play extremely well. Petter had good results, but didn’t have his best game on the mound,” Fernley said.
Regardless, the Warriors took the season series 3-0 between the two, sweeping the Huskies and outscoring them 26-5.
Some of the Warriors were rewarded for their season-long performances, earning spots on the All-South Coast Conference teams, with Fernley being awarded SCC Coach of the Year.
“The journey makes it worth it because you don’t know what’s going to happen. Nothing is guaranteed,” Fernely said.
Petter was honored with not only SCC Pitcher of the Year (7-0, 1.90 ERA), but also earned SCC Player of the Year, leading the conference with 12 doubles, two homeruns, and 25 RBIs.
“Hard work pays off, that’s all I can say,” Petter said of his award winning season.
Other Warriors who earned first team honors were pitcher Andrew Pulido (4-2, 1.55 ERA), Deguire (.365, nine doubles, three triples, and 18 RBIs) third baseman Chris Vopinek (.442, two homeruns and 16 RBIs) and designated hitter Drew Rodela (.340, two triples, 10 RBI’s with a .500 OBP).
“I didn’t really expect to be awarded,” Rodela said. “It feels good to be rewarded for working hard.”
Others who made the All-SCC second team are pitcher Nick Turner (4-2, 3.54 ERA) and first baseman Garrett Cooper (.375, three homeruns and 25 RBIs). Shortstop Jeff Miera, outfielder Bobby Martin, and second baseman John Hein received All-SCC honorable mentions.
Seeds for the playoffs were given out on Sunday with EC receiving the fifth seed.
Up next, the Warriors will host 12th-seeded Pierce College tomorrow at 2 p.m. for the first round of the playoffs in a best-of-three series. On Saturday, the teams will meet at 11 a.m. and if needed, game three will take place a half-hour after game two concludes.
“We always say that the next game is the most important game of the season, what ever game that is,” Fernley said. “We’re just going to do what we normally do.”