Track team ends season on a high note

With the end of season in sight, the Warriors fought hard for their third place finish in both the men’s and women’s programs.
The team members were all smiles at the two-day South Coast Conference Finals meet at Mt. San Antonio College as most athletes achieved personal records and qualified in their events for this weekends Southern California Prelims.
“As a team, we lost only to Mt. SAC and Cerritos,” coach Dean Lofgren said. “It’s crunch time, they know that now is the time to step it up and perform or their season is over.”
Throwers coach Darryl Guerin had reasons to celebrate after everyone qualified for the preliminaries.
“They had good throws this weekend,” Guerin said. “Everyone on the team is young and they are getting more experience.”
Merry Tulikihihifo qualified for the state preliminaries in all three of her events.
Tulikihihifo throws the shot-put, discus and hammer. She qualified for this weekends state preliminaries by placing sixth in all three.
“I was horrible in the shot and discus, and I was surprised that I placed in the hammer,” Tulikihihifo said.
“Practicing with guys pushes you,” Tulikihihifo said. “At first is was frustrating, but now it pushes me.”
Two teammates pushing her everyday are Jason Harrell and Benjamin Woodruff.
“I threw OK in the shot and pretty bad in the discuss,” Harrell said. “This week I need to relax more.”
Woodruffwas “content” with his second place finish and fourth place state ranking.
“I’ve only been throwing for three months, so I was content with the throw,” Woodruff said.
David Cardona won with a time of 15:06. 71 and Jose Lezama came in second with 15:07.72 in the 5000 meter race.
“We continue to do well with one of the worst facilities in the state,” Lofgren said. “Our strong tradition and program is still able to lure some of the states best athletes.”