Scholarships for Division I universities offered to 21 EC football players

“I’m going to Disneyland.”
The phrase became tradition to almost every quarterback winning a Super Bowl since 1986. It was Phil Simms, who after winning Super Bowl XXI coined the phrase during one of the greatest moments in the retired Giants quarterback, now CBS sportscasters career.
Simms’ son Matt is following in his dad’s footsteps with a scholarship to the University of Tennessee, and is part of an elite group consisting of 21 players departing EC’s football program this year for the fifth year in a row, with Division I and II scholarships.
“The same thing I could say for Simms is the same thing I can say about almost every player on the team,” coach John Featherstone said. “They all have amazing work ethic, performance, and of course, the grades to match as well.”
EC has fostered some of the best talent for five years running, by consistently transferring between 20 and 30 players per year.
“Right now we, have 21 and we’re going to have at least six more by the time this thing is over with,” Featherstone said. “We’ve been the leading college with the most major college scholarships in the United States for five years and counting.”
Kenbrell Thompkins, who was recently awarded a scholarship to the University of Cincinnati, was known at EC for breaking the college’s previous wide receiving record, and being the first on campus to have completed more than 1,000 yards during both his freshman and sophomore years. An achievement he said, that he could not have accomplished without the skills and preparation he received here.
“Attending EC I didn’t know what to expect for my first schooling experience outside my hometown,” Thompkins said. “It turned out to be a great experience. I dealt with some great coaches that taught me great plays and things really preparing me for Cincinnati. They propelled me to achieve the things I did and that is probably the reason I landed 11 scholarships before eventually settling with Cincinnati.”
Mike Harris, a former cornerback, received a Division I scholarship to Florida State University. He also elaborated on the caliber of the EC coaching staff, adding that their zeal paved the way for his seemingly effortless transition to Florida.
“There’s not much of a difference because coach Featherstone and his staff run sort of like a Division 1 program out of EC,” Harris said. “Being at a D-1 school you just learn about keeping things fast paced and everything is always non-stop and your learning everyday.”
“Featherstone and his staff did a great job in teaching that. That’s why I’m having such an easy time here at the next level.”
The football program this year is continuing its tradition of preparing students and players in its own way that extends far beyond five years.
This year’s NFL draft set the stage for alumni Verron Tucker and Vuna Tuihahalamaka, who went the Indianapolis Colts and the Dallas Cowboys, respectively.
Featherstone expressed his pleasure in the positive future he can help to provide his kids.
“I’m really proud and excited for our kids to play major college football,” Featherstone said. “Some of them we only had for one year , but the feeling you get when you see these kids on TV is a great one.”