Warriors steal game from Vikings

With two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning against Long Beach City College, John Hein, sophomore infielder, stepped up to the plate feeling frustrated because he had popped up during his last time at bat.

But that feeling quickly vanished when he sliced a single down right field and Jeff Miera, freshman infielder, who was on second base, hustled home to score the tying run.

Meanwhile, Bobby Martin, freshman outfielder, who was on first base, advanced to third base.

“I just concentrated and got my thing done,” Hein said. “I tried to think of a happy place like in ‘Happy Gilmore’ and it worked so I’m excited.”

The Vikings threw a wild pitch and Martin scored the go-ahead run, giving the Warriors a 6-5 lead and ultimately the win.

“I think we were a little lethargic at the beginning of the game. We didn’t come out like we normally do, emotionally,” coach Nate Fernley said. “But by the end, we found a way to win.”

EC (12-4, 3-1) is now ranked No. 2 in Southern California, according to the California Community College Athletic Association Web site, and is the South Coast Conference leader.

Kyle Petter, sophomore pitcher, started for EC and allowed eight hits, five runs and four walks in 5 2/3 innings while striking out eight batters.

“I was a little bit off today,” Petter said. “I didn’t have my stuff, my command. I just have to come back tomorrow and be ready to go and practice hard to get better.”

Petter was then relieved by Joey Schaffhauser, freshman pitcher (3-0), who struck out the last batter in the top of the sixth inning to get the Warriors out of a pickle.

“I feel good; I used to start in high school but now I’m a closer, so it’s a little bit different,” Schaffhauser said. “Other than that, I kind of feel like Mariano Rivera (of the Yankees), which is what the coach calls me.”

Schaffhauser, who earned the win, threw for 3 1/3 innings, striking out five batters and allowing one hit, one walk and no runs.

On Monday, the Warriors traveled to Pasadena for a game that had originally been scheduled for last Saturday, but was postponed due to the weather.

The Warriors had their first conference loss with a score of 4-2.

“We just did not hit. They scored three runs early in the first (inning) and we only had two hits the whole game,” Fernley said. “The guys did a good job battling, but we just didn’t do a very good job after a few innings.”

Andrew Pulido, freshman pitcher, started the game against Pasadena. He allowed 11 hits and four runs in 7 1/3 innings, with three strikeouts and two walks.

“He pitched fairly well and only gave up four runs, but we just didn’t give much offense,” Fernley said.

The two runs scored by EC came late in the game in the top of the ninth inning; one was unearned and the other was an RBI single by Martin.

Last Thursday, the Warriors hosted Compton College and posted a 14-3 conference win.
“We pitched well and executed offensively so it was a good win for us,” Fernley said. “They walked a few people and we got the hits.”

Nick Turner, freshman pitcher, threw a four-hitter with six strikeouts and no walks, giving up three runs.

“I felt I had probably the best defense in the South Coast Conference behind me and I feel our offense was phenomenal that game,” Turner said. “I expected it to be a really close game because I know Compton is one of the better teams around.”

Up next, the Warriors will host Cerritos College, the defending conference champions. Last year, EC took the series between the two colleges, 2-1. The game will be today at 2 p.m. at Warrior Field.

“Cerritos is the defending conference champs and we are going to come out ready to play,” Fernley said.