Volleyball’s loss to Pasadena costs South Coast Conference title

Tears and faces expressing disappointment filled the South Gym last night as the women’s volleyball team members saw their hopes of a conference championship slip away with the final point of the match against Pasadena City College.

For the first time in nine years, the Warriors will not be South Coast Conference Champions and that honor will go to Pasadena. However, EC will host regionals at 6 p.m. on Tuesday.

It is also the first time that the women’s volleyball team has been swept by a team all year.

“Physically, we have the potential. Mentally we know what it’s like to lose. We just need to come back strong and with swagger. We have no time to sulk,” coach LeValley Pattison said.

EC was ranked No. 2 in California, but most likely will drop when new rankings come out.

Since Pasadena beat EC, Pasadena will probably get the No. 1 seed in Southern California and EC will get the No. 2 seed in the Southern California Regionals.

“I thought Sarah (Prather) played really well, but we struggled. We never could get the middle going. We were nervous in the beginning and never seemed to shake them,” Pattison said.

“I think I did everything I could to help us get a win but it just didn’t happen,” Prather said.

Despite the loss to Pasadena, the Warriors had two wins last week against East Los Angeles and Los Angeles Harbor Colleges.

The Warriors swept both ELAC and Harbor in their respective games as the women’s volleyball record now stands at 23-1 (14-1).

The match against ELAC went smoothly as EC won 25-11, 25-12 and 25-18. The team was led by Sarah Prather who had eight kills and eight blocks.

Deja Dickerson added 10 kills and Hattie Waybright also had eight kills and 11 digs and Kayelani Tanuvasa rounded out the night with 26 assists.

The Warriors rounded out their week with a 25-5, 25-3 and 25-6 pounding of Harbor.

The match against Harbor was never close.

The Warriors came out strong and controlled the first game, winning 25-5. The momentum never went in Harbor’s favor as EC dominated the second game 25-3. The last game was no different, as the score was 25-6 for EC.

The Warriors outscored Harbor 75-14, which was the largest difference in any match the team has played in this season.

“I’m disappointed but I know we can step it up in playoffs,” Donella DiDomenico said.