Steroids are not kosher

Somehow, steroids just won’t go away and that is a shame. Regardless of whether Manny Ramirez took a fertility drug to boost his testosterone levels, the media still considered it a steroid, simply because the drug he took is most commonly used after a recent steroid cycle has ended.

There is a difference between good and bad steroids, like the drugs given to pre-mature newborns to strengthen their weak and fragile bodies are good.

However, the good types of steroids are never talked about in the media. The focus has and always will be the negative effects of the drug.

More and more commercials have popped up informing viewers of how a young body can be affected by using steroids, especially while participating in sports.

Spencer Smith, a football coach at West Torrance High School, said he thinks steroid involvement in sports is no good.

“If you are an average player, you turn into a good player,” Smith said. “This doesn’t mean I agree with taking them. I think that it is cheating.”

Smith could not be more correct. Over the past few years, multiple professional athletes have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. While many of those have confessed, others have sworn that those accusing them are doing it in an attempt to make money, such as former baseball player Roger Clemens and his former trainer.

One can ask any person what their thoughts on steroids are and get the same answer, “they are bad.”

Sophomore Na’I Leni, a member of EC’s track and field team, said she thinks steroids are the worst things ever.

“I am trying to go to the Olympics,” Leni said. “The record is held by a woman from Russia who was on steroids. I think (the committee) should take the records out.”

Leni also said she believes that it would be harder for someone attempting to break the record naturally if the person who set the record was using performance-enhancers.

One of the biggest negatives to professional athletes taking steroids is the impression that the younger viewers take from watching. While parents do everything they can to tell their children the negative side to steroids, many may see the rapid change in body size and structure and think that it may help them as well.

“(Steroids) should not be allowed at all,” Smith said. “The difference between professional and high school athletes is that a professional is an adult. One would hope the adult could be able to make his or her own decisions.”

Shade Randall, a 20-year-old communications and pre-law major, said she believes steroids have a negative effect on anyone and everyone who indulges in taking them.

“It sets a bad example for the younger crowd,” Randall said. “When you are playing the same game, I think it’s cheating. Is that fair at all?”

Randall poses a great question. Growing up, we were always taught that ‘cheaters never prosper.’

While Ramirez and New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez were signed to multi-million dollar contracts, taking performance-enhancing drugs is not an excuse. These two players both signed contracts worth more than $100 million over an extended amount of time. This may be a lot of money for someone to get paid for playing a child’s game, but taking steroids is not an excuse when attempting to live up to such a contract.

“Steroids in sports are no good,” Smith said.