Women bounce back to defeat Harbor

A strong performance last Friday at Cerritos College was not enough for the women’s soccer team as they lost 2-1, but bounced back with a win at home against rival L.A. Harbor College 3-0 Tuesday.

With an overall record of 8-3-5 and a conference record of 2-1-1, the Warriors are only a game behind Mt. San Antonio College and a healthy two games behind the Cerritos Falcons.

The Warriors will try to pick up a home victory this Friday against the Pasadena College Lancers, who come into Murdock Stadium with jut one conference win this season.

“Friday is a must win, we owe them, but the big game is going to be Tuesday (at Mt. SAC),” coach Jaymie Baquero said. “We still can not look past Friday’s game.”

Sophomore Ashley Martin took a penalty kick in the first half; a great kick stifled by the starting Falcons sophomore goalie Chantal Cervero who has allowed only one goal so far in conference play.

“Even though (coach John Britton) said it was a great stop, I think I still should have made the shot,” Martin said.

The only goal the Warriors got was on a penalty kick by sophomore midfielder Vanessa Naba in the 82nd minute.

“We played the entire game well against Cerritos College,” sophomore forward Jamie Tribble said.

Following the most challenging game of the season against Cerritos, the Warriors will prepare for the Lancers before they take on South Coast Conference powerhouse Mt. SAC, who have a record of 7-2-2 overall and 2-0-1 in conference, Tuesday at Mt. SAC.

“We more than matched (Cerritos), we were slow to shut them down in the first twenty minutes giving them two goals,” Britton said.

Scoring two quick goals in the first 20 minutes was all EC would allow, playing shutout defense for the rest of the game.

“We played strong, this was a good result for us,” Baquero said. “This was the closest game Cerritos had played all season.”

Going against the top team in the state in Cerritos, the Warriors played shutout ball for 70 minutes, but could not recover from a two-goal deficit.

“We definitely dominated the game, but we missed a few opportunities,” Baquero said.

Suffering from a slight let down after Friday’s game at Cerritos, EC still was able to shut out Harbor.

“They need to keep combining, they run combinations in bits but they need to get it done more often,” Britton said.

On Tuesday, many of the players had colds and were under the weather, but they played through it,

“As long as we have the same intensity as we had against Cerritos, we can win against Pasadena,” Martin said.

Looking to tomorrow’s game at home, Baquero will focus practice on moving the ball around and making sure they keep getting in good practices.

“We need to capitalize on our opportunities with quicker passes and distributing the ball sooner than we had been,” Baquero said.