One more win clinches playoffs

With their final match of the season against conference leader East Los Angeles last Wednesday, the women’s badminton players approached the game with the intention of avoiding the season sweep, but fell just short, losing 14-7.

“We showed a big improvement from the last time we played them,” John Britton, coach, said. “14-7 is a big improvement.”

The Warriors (5-5) have their final home match tomorrow against Los Angeles City, in a match that will decide the third place finisher in the South Coast Conference.

“Part of the reason we lost to ELAC is that we were coming off spring break,” Pavithra Wijratne said. “I think that we were all still a little too relaxed.”

Wijratne was able to find her focus quickly though, defeating East L.A.’s No. 1 player in a colossal three-set match.

“That was the toughest match of the entire year,” Wijratne said. “I was very happy to end up winning the match.”

Wijratne’s second match during the second round of singles was against the same opponent. However, the win was obtained with relative ease.

“It was good to be able to win both of my singles matches,” Wijratne said.

Wijratne was not the only Warrior to carry the Husky players into a three-set match. Erika Areyan was able to split her singles matches, winning her first match in three games, and losing the second match in three games.

For the doubles matches, Britton changed the usual game plan and had EC’s No. 3, Elsa Romero partner with No.4 Siobian McOsker to take on East L.A.’s No.1 and 2 players.

“Considering we played their No.1 doubles team, I thought we did pretty well,” McOsker said.

The Warriors have molded into a competitive team as the season has progressed, and many of the two sport athletes on EC adapted to their new sport.

After a slow starting year, the season could end on a high note with a win against Los Angeles City.

“We fielded five soccer players and one badminton player against ELAC,” Britton said. “When you consider that, it shows the remarkable improvement of these women.”