Making track history

Despite his academic achievements, dedication, hard work and devotion are the only words Roy Alugbue seems to understand.

although only a freshman, Alugbue has the determination and attitude of a seasoned athlete.

“He is a wonderful kid, he is a good kid and he listens to everything I have to say,” Kevin Hughley, assistant track coach, said.

“He has worked for everything he has accomplished so far, and he is capable of doing much more,” Hughley said.

Last Saturday at the South Coast Conference finals Alugbue earned first placed in both the 100-meters and 200-meters.

It is the first time any athlete has finished in first place in both events since 1985.

Alugbue has accomplished many outstanding tasks this year, some of which will be remembered long after he has left EC.

Two weeks ago at the Mt. San Antonio College relays Alugbue competed in the 100-meter and came out of the gate like a thoroughbred, finishing the race with a time of 10.55 seconds.

His time of 10.55 seconds is the fourth fastest finish in the 100-meter in Warriors’ history.

“If you would have told me that I would have be one of the fastest runners in Southern California and that I was going to be ranked fourth all-time in the one-hundred meters, I would have said that you are out your mind,” Alugbue said.

“I just cannot believe what I have accomplished so far, I am pretty sure that some of my success has to do with my long legs.”

Alugbue began his track and field career at Saint John Bosco High School.

Alugbue knew he was not the best runner in high school but not due to a lack of talent.

“I did well in track and field during my high school years, but I know I could have done much better,” Alugbue said.

“I was just so distracted with other things,” he said.

“If I would have being dedicated with track and field, I am sure enough that I would have done much better,” Alugbue said.

Before coming to EC, Alugbue attended Loyola Marymount University.

After a year at LMU, Alugbue dropped out due to academic issues and the college’s lack of a track team.

The proximity of the EC campus combined with the desire to be more actively involved in sports convinced Alugbue to become part of Warriors’ track team.

“At first I wanted to try out for basketball, but I knew I was not strong enough,” Alugbue said.

“I ended up becoming a part of the track and field team,” Alugbue said. “It was a wise decision on my part.”

Alugbue has been improving as the season progresses.

He is ranked as one of the top five fastest runners in the 100 and 200-meters in Southern California.

“He knows he has talent, and he is using it wisely,” Hughley said.

“All the hard work he has done all season has paid off very well for him,” he said.

Alugbue believes that most of his success this season is because of his coaches Dean Lofgren and Hughley.

Alugbue also attributes his success tothe support that his teammates have shown to him throughout all season.

“They are like my family,” Alugbue said.

” My teammates are like my coaches, they tell me what to improve on in order for me to do well,” he said.

Besides being a track athlete Alugube,a communications major, has excelled academically maintaining a 3.5 grade point average.

Algubue is hoping to transfer to either USC or Cal State Northridge and continue to pursue both his academic and athletic careers.