Emotional end for softball team

Although the softball team lost their last game of the season, the women do not regret what they learned or experienced this season.

Tuesday, the women played against Mt. San Antonio College Mounties, losing 9-1. The women ended their season with an overall record of 2-28, and 0-14 in conference.

The women played a tough game, with Dani Morvice hitting a homerun in the second inning and helping maintain the score at 4-1 until the top of the fifth inning. However, unable to hold the Mounties, the women gave up four more runs by the seventh inning.

“We played one of the toughest teams in this conference; but they only had five more hits than us, overall,” Randi Berg, assistant coach, said. “This game we had a season high of six hits.”

At the end of their last game, the women were very emotional; the group of women got along and united as a team, Susie Calderon, coach, said.

“I wish that we would have executed better this year, but we really played with our heart. We really made the most of what we had,” Claire Allen, first baseman, said.

It has been a learning experience for many of the players, but Calderon does not regret this season at all.

“Although we struggled, we really tried hard every game, there’s nothing that I would do to change this experience,” Mei Yamaguchi, second baseman, said.

The women had to overcome many set backs this year: The team consisted of only 10 players with most of them being freshman.

“I am disappointed that it ended this way, but these women never gave up. They had their game face on during every game,” Berg, said.

Both coaches have high expectations for next season, who along with the women are looking forward to a better season.

“This year, most of us were freshman. Next season, we will have more experience and know more about what to look forward to and how to face the conference,” Morvice said.

Already Setting up workouts for the summer, Berg is set on the future of this softball program.

Berg hopes to recruit more players and have a better record next season.

“I will miss the three women that have played their three years, but my goals now are how to prepare for next season,” Berg said.

Furthermore, Calderon said that in all the years she has coached this has been her favorite group of young women.

“It has been an absolute pleasure coaching this year, I have never coached a team that got along so well,” Calderon said.