Women’s swim team defeats L.A. Trade Tech, lose against Long Beach

Strength, dominance and consistency couldn’t be carried over to Long Beach City after defeating L.A. Trade Tech in the women’s swimming and diving team latest three-team meet.

The Warriors will have the week off and will pick up competition on April 8 when they will host a three-team-meet against Chaffey and Rio Hondo.

The team had two different results in its three-team-meet against L.A. Trade Tech, whom they beat 101-25, and Long Beach City, who defeated the Warriors 77-52.

“Long Beach and us have about the same number of players, but they are a better team,” coach Corey Stanbury said.

The same could not be said about L.A. Trade Tech, who was defeated by a large margin even though the meet was at their campus.

“Long Beach does not have many swimmers, but they are fast; L.A. Trade Tech does not have many swimmers either, but they are not very good,” Mallory Morishita said.

Ashley Stanbury helped her team to a second place finish by coming first in the 1000-meter free, 12:04.41 and the 500-meter free, 5:50.60

“Ashley did well in her meets and Kellie Lancaster had some of her best times in the races that she was in,” Stanbury said.

Lancaster had strong times in the 50-meter breaststroke, 34.67; 100-meter breaststroke, 1:14.46 and the 100-meter free stroke.

“Kellie probably had the best swimming performance of all the swimmers there,” Stanbury said.

“We are going to do well against Rio Hondo, but Chaffey is going to give us good competition,” Morishita said.

Unlike the Warriors, Chaffey has a large team and will get more opportunities to get points with rested swimmers.

“The Chaffey women have a pretty good advantage against us because they have more depth and skills then we do,” Stanbury said.

The lack of swimmers will not stop the women from trying their best in competing against Rio Hondo.

“We are going to try and do our best,” Morishita said. “We just need to swim our fastest and beat as many people as we can so we can get more points.”

After spring break, the team will compete in its final invitational at Pasadena, April 15 and 16.

“This year, we are not going to do relay races and we are going to focus on our individual meets to prepare for the conference championships,” Stanbury said.

April 22 and 23, the team will host the South Coast Conference Diving Championships.

The event will have three different conferences involved and the top six divers from the conferences combined will get automatic bids for the state championship and the Warriors’ lone diver is favored to get one of those bids.

“Dana Dungansteen has a good chance of winning conference and I like her chances at state,” Stanbury said.

Dungansteen’s teammates have confidence in her because she has been a big part of why the diving team has been doing well.

“Dana has been good and we are a strong team because of her,” Adam Vore, diving team captain, said.