Swimmers annihilate L.A. Trade Tech, lose to Vikings

Old squeaky boards that are practically unsafe are probably not the best apparatus to dive off, but that is a risk that team captains must take.

That is exactly what Adam Vore did to help the men’s swimming and diving team to a second-place finish in last weeks three-team-meet.

“The boards were sketchy and I was close to not diving, but I decided to take one for the team,” Adam Vore, diving team captain, said.

The Warriors were able to defeat host L.A. Trade Tech Beavers with ease, 112-18, but came up short against the Long Beach City Vikings, 77-53.

“It was a good meet, a lot of good races, but (Long Beach City) was just a little too strong,” coach Corey Stanbury said.

As for L.A. trade Tech though, having a lack of quality swimmers can cause for a blowout loss like the one they had against the Warriors.

“They don’t have many swimmers and the ones they do have are not very good,” Stanbury said.

Unlike L.A. Trade Tech, the Warriors have good swimmers and four of them won their races last week.

Robert Baird won the 1,000-meter freestyle at 10:53.19, 24 seconds better then his prior personal best time.

Another swimmer, Patrick Murphy, beat his personal best by eight seconds in the 200-meter breaststroke at 2:33.51 to take first in his race.

Matt Briggs was successful in the 100-meter freestyle, 49.65.

Daniel Fung had a solid performance winning in the 200-meter butterfly, 1:59.40 and in the 100-meter butterfly, 54.33.

Divers also did well, as Vore took second, 129.35, and Brain Kawagoe, 121.25, took third.

The team will get the week off before hosting its final three-team meet of the season April 8 against Chaffey and Rio Hondo College.

“We have an advantage against both colleges but Chaffey has one good swimmer who can do well in both short and long distance races,” Stanbury said.

The swimmer is said to be better than the Warriors’ own Fung.

Like L.A. Trade Tech, Rio Hondo does not seem to be tough competition for either team.

“Rio Hondo doesn’t have much to offer, so we are going to pay more attention to Chaffey,” Stanbury said.

After the three-team-meet, the Warriors are off for spring break and will continue the season at the Pasadena Invitational April 15 and 16.

“In the last several invitations there we have been doing relays, but this year we are focusing more on individual races to prepare for the conference championship,” Stanbury said.

The week off could be good for the swimmers because they will go for their best times at the invitational in preparation for the conference championship.

“It’s good that we have the break from school before the invitational because it allows us to pay more attention to our swimming,” Deforest Kirkwood, sophomore, said.

In the following week, the team will host the South Coast Conference Diving Championships on April 22 and 23.

The event will have three different conferences competing with the six best divers from all three conferences combined will get automatic bids to the state finals.

“We have four divers that can finish in the top eight,” Stanbury said. “Wendell Perkins has a great chance at making state and Adam can make it if he steps up at the championships.”