Softball team remains winless in conference

Two losses to Cerritos College weren’t enough to bring down the softball team’s spirit, which keeps fighting harder to win a conference game.

In their first game against the Falcons, the Warriors lost to a mercy rule when they were down by more than eight runs.

However, the team fought harder during the second game, only losing 6-0.

“Our bats weren’t at this game. We just weren’t ready at the plate,” pitcher Dani Morvice said.

“The spirits remain high for the team; they still go out to every game putting there full effort to play their hardest,” assistant coach Randi Berg said.

“Although the women have not won any conference games they still have a chance to play each team again and show them their true potential,” Berg said.

Many mental errors have held the women back from scoring; there have been many times were they were in scoring positions and could not execute, Berg said. “We seem to be still making a lot of mental errors,” Berg said.

“We are personally defeating ourselves; we are preventing ourselves from winning,” first baseman Claire Allen said.

For Allen, having only 10 players still puts a damper on the team, is has a disadvantage compared to the other teams in the conference.

Making the Warriors overall record 2-18, and conference 0-7, keeps the women far from making the playoffs.

“We have a chance now to ruin other teams’ records; we can still defeat these teams. It won’t be an easy win for them,” Berg said.

They now sit in the lowest spot in the conference, but still want to show some improvements during the following games.

“Statistics don’t mean anything to me; they’re not important,” Allen said. “What’s important is that we are putting one hundred percent during every game.”

“Every player is still going out playing hard in her next game; their hearts are still there,” Berg said.

The women will play against Pasadena City College Tuesday at 3 p.m. Then they will travel to East L.A. College Thursday at 3 p.m.

Although the campus will be closed during spring break in two weeks, the softball team will continue practicing and playing during that time.

The women will play Long Beach City College April 12 and East L.A. College April 14.

The team will then travel to Cerritos April 19, and then to Pasadena City College April 21. Their last game will be at home against Mt. San Antonio College.