Shooting threat ends softball game

Balls may not have been the only things in the air Monday, after a shooting threat caused the game to end prematurely.

During the seventh inning with no outs, first baseman Claire Allen had two balls and no strikes, when suddenly a man jumped over the fence at Santa Ana College and ran into the left fielder, claiming someone was out to shoot him.

“It was so weird we just all started running to the dugouts; we really didn’t understand what was going on,” right fielder Sasha Edwards said.

Although nothing happened, the women were cut short from finishing the game and lost, 7-0.

“We really fought hard the last two innings to stay in the game; we were pumped coming to the seventh,” Edwards said. “We were mad that it ended early; we thought we could come back.”

Losing against Santa Ana, coach Randi Berg said the women are improving individually, but need to come together as a whole.

“We just seem not to come together all at once; we are all talented but we need to play better,” Edwards said.

Despite losing to Long Beach City College, 9-1, Thursday, the team said it’s still motivated.

“We have a great possibility to win a game; that’s what keeps me motivated,” catcher Crystal Galaz said.

“They didn’t play hard against Long Beach, some women didn’t show up to practice and others were just not ready to play,” Berg said.

The team’s record, 2-17 and conference 0-6, doesn’t slow down the women who come out every game playing hard.

“When teams come out to play us, they put their best pitchers and players into play; they know we have potential but when we step into that white line we just seem to get lost,” Berg said.

Losing their concentration keeps affecting the team’s results.

“We just seem to not be in the game mentally after a couple of innings,” Galaz said.

The women play hard the first couple of innings errors just completely bring them down, Berg said.

“I’m not looking at our record,” Berg said. ” Of course every coach wants a winning team, but I’m more concerned with seeing improvement, if they improve I’m happy.”