Badminton team gets undefeated 5-0 record

Although frustrated and angry, two best friends were able to help the badminton team to a pair of dominating victories last week over L.A. City College and Compton City College.

Brittany Garcia and Marjorie Cortez found a way to overcome their frustrations and lead the Warriors to a win, improving the team’s record to 5-0.

The team had a dominating victory against Compton College, winning 20-1.

Friday, the team improved that score, beating Compton City College with a perfect 21-0.

Play resumes tomorrow when the women take on East L.A. in the Warrior’s last home game during the first round of conference play.

The Warriors managed to defeat East L.A. convincingly in their previous game.

Against Compton, Monique McShane had an impressive performance.

McShane was able to dominate during every one of her matches winning, 11-1, 11-1, 11-2 and 11-5.

The victory against Compton left McShane short of words as she didn’t expect to walk away with the victory with such ease.

“They were easy,” McShane said.

With the last two victories, the Warriors improved their undefeated record to 5-0.

Against L.A. City, the team dominated from beginning to end and nearly ended the match with a perfect score.

Cortez and Garcia played well against L.A. City College until they became overconfident and began to relax during the game.

“We were playing against their number one team in doubles, and we beat them easily, so we got cocky,” Cortez said.

“So then we got ready to play their number two team, and we thought it would be easier,” Cortez said.

However, the women soon discovered that underestimating their opponents could have cost them the game.

“We couldn’t even hit the birdy, so we began to get frustrated,” Cortez said. “We still won, but we were upset afterward.”

The mistakes were not overlooked and the women were able to quickly readjust and focus to win the match.

“It wasn’t Marjorie’s or my best game,” Garcia said. “But once we got it together, we won.”

The women were very close to recording two consecutive shutouts last week, but during one of the matches against L.A. City, the Warriors were forced to forfeit one of their matches.

“The only game we lost last week was forfeit because of the late arrival of Yanni Ma,” coach John Britton said.

“But she made up for it by winning her three remaining games when she arrived,” Britton said.

Ma wasn’t thrown off or distracted by her late arrival to the game; neither did she ever feel like if she would lose during any of her last three matches.

“They were pretty easy,” Ma said.