Volleyball team still undefeated

After two more easy victories, the women’s volleyball team extended its record to 12-0 with a difficult game against Long Beach yesterday and Mt. SAC comes to town tomorrow.

Even with the match against the Mounties tomorrow, the team has had its eyes on yesterday’s game.

Scores weren’t available for press time, but in yesterday’s home match against the Vikings, the team knew that the match was the biggest match; left on its schedule.

“Everything is riding on this game,” Taryn Tamblyn said. “They are the biggest competition.”

The Vikings are continually the biggest rivals for the team.

“It always seems to be a good match; whoever comes ready to play will win,” coach Le Valley Pattison said.

On Oct. 8 the Warriors and the Vikings battled for five games with EC coming out on top. This match is expected to be the same kind of grudge match as the two teams battle for the South Coast Conference lead.

“They would rather tie and be co-champs than be second,” Pattison said.

“We want to beat them in three and show them what’s up,” Tamblyn said.

The Warriors beat East L.A. in three games last Friday, 30-15, 30-25, and 30-15.

“Everyone played and now we are looking forward to Wednesday (Long Beach),” Pattison said.

On Oct. 27 the women traveled to Cerritos and battled the Falcons in a four-game match.

Cerritos started the match on a strong note and won the first game 25-30, just to lose the next three games 30-21, 30-16, 30-24.

“They always play well at home,” Pattison said. “They came out ready to play; they blocked better and dug better than we did.”

“The first game, I think we thought it would be easier than it was. It was a reality check.” Tamblyn said.

In the second game, the team got back to its regular forms Pattison said.

“In the second game, we sped up our offense. A quicker pace is a strength for us,” she said.

With only three games left before the playoffs, Pattison said that several members of the team have stepped their play up in time for a late-season run to the championships.

“We are playing well; we are getting the ball to our hitters. Amie (Abad) is setting well,” Pattison said. “She has been a good communicator; she plays with a lot of heart and she is tough.”

After tomorrow’s game, the team will finish the season against Pasadena City at home and an away game at L.A. Harbor.

“We are having fun now,” Tambly said.