Men’s cross country takes third place

Another meet, another finish in the top five.

The men’s cross country team continues to be consistent finishing in third place at the Irvine Invitational with 79 points. Last year’s state champion, San Bernardino, won the invitational with 37 points, and Mt. SAC placed second with a total of 56 points.

The squad looks to continue improving and staying healthy in preparation for its last meet of the season at the Mt. SAC Invite tomorrow at (to be determined).

“It will be my first time running in Mt. SAC, but I’ve heard that it’s a really hard course,” sophomore Kendall Lopez said.

Mt. SAC has always been a challenge for runners with its steep, dusty trails and high temperatures.

The Mt. SAC Invite will be a last tune-up before the South Coast Conference championships get underway.

“The men haven’t won yet, but we’ve been in second or third against very good teams,” coach Dean Lofgren said.

Lopez, the only sophomore of the group, is making his impact with his solid contributions.

Last year, Lopez had to sit out a portion of the season due to injuries. He injured his right leg, but continued running. Eventually, he put too much pressure on his left leg and sustained a stress fracture.

This year, Lopez has been healthy and is excited about the progress the team has made with so many freshman on the team.

“We are doing great, better than last year,” Lopez said. “I’m trying to provide a bit of the experience I have and help them out.”

“They’re all freshmen and for some, it’s their first time running four miles, so they might not be used to it,” he added.

Freshman Bill Rogers fits that bill. Rogers started running cross country in order to build himself up for the track season.

Rogers is confident and energetic enough to run the four miles, and said he believes he can start setting goals.

One goal, Rogers said, is to run the four-mile race in 19 minutes.

“They are encouraging me and I’m trying my best,” Rogers said. “Coach (Lofgren) tells me that I’m doing better, but I need to set my own goals to push myself.”

Lofgren said he agreed that Rogers has been developing well, and said he knew that he had the talent and the work ethic to compete in cross country.

“He was a pretty talented guy coming in,” Lofgren said. “He’s been developing well with respect to competing at the four mile distance.”

“That’s new to him, but he’s talented enough and fit enough to where he’s made a pretty rapid adjustment to running in four miles,” he added.

Another freshman who was expected to make contributions was Jason Hanakeawe.

The Mira Costa graduuate was considered by many to be the best long distance runner in the South Bay.

However, he was forced to miss three months while rehabilitating with bone spurs.

“Arguably, he is the best distance runner in this area, from Santa Monica through Orange County.” Lofgren said.

As the season is winding down, Hanakeawe has been getting healthier and stronger.

“Hanakeawe has made a nice comeback,” Lofgren said. “He’s had great workouts, so he’s coming back very quickly.”

Lofgren said they will encounter strong competiton, but he’s confident that the team will be prepared.

“Every meet we are going to face someone that is very good, and we have yet to face someone not good,” Lofgren said.