Warriors win with last play of the game

In a dramatic fashion, the Warriors beat Cerritos 21-16 and extended their record to 5-0 just as they prepare to take a weekend off.

Despite trailing late in the fourth quarter, EC’s quarterback Don Poole connected with wide receiver LaFerrell Payne for a 64-yard touchdown pass to defeat Cerritos Saturday.

The Warriors obatined their victory in a goal line stand, as defensive back Nate Ness intercepted Cerritos’ quarterback Kevin Brown in the end zone to ensure EC the come from behind win.

“Our backs were against the wall,” Ness said. “It was crunch time and coach said we needed a big play. Luckily I was there to make the play.”

The win gives the team a 3-0 record in conference play. It now has the opportunity to get some rest as it heads into the conference bye week undefeated.

“We have a lot of injuries, we’re undefeated, and now we have the chance to get some much needed rest,” Poole said. “I couldn’t ask for more.”

Not only did EC retain its Milk Can trophy Saturday, but it remains the only undefeated team in its conference as Fullerton lost.

“We were very fortunate to win this game,” coach John Featherstone said. “I am really proud of these guys for playing hard and hanging in there in such a close game.”

EC’s defense has been the key to its success. The Warriors have created four turnovers in the last two games, two of them coming from Ness’ ability to play solid defense.

For Ness, Saturday was the fourth game in which he has picked off at least one interception. He leads the team this season with five.

“They were killing us all day with that quarterback drag, and linebacker Keenan Kelsey told me to watch’em,” Ness said. “I read the play, and came up with a huge interception to wrap up our comeback.”

The Warriors, whose offense scored first, were dominated by the Falcons defense for three quarters, allowing the Cerritos offense to score 16 unanswered points.

“Having the lead slip through our fingers was costly,” Poole said. “We knew if we wanted to win this game, that we had to make some huge plays on both sides of the ball.”

Poole, who completed 9 of his 12 passes for a total of 137 yards, was pulled out of the game in the second quarter and replaced by quarterback Nick Emmons who went 10 of 16 for 69 yards.

Poole found his way back into the game in the fourth quarter and ignited the EC offense with a 77-yard drive resulting in a 2-yard touchdown run by fullback Heliki Fifita which cut the Falcon lead to 16-14.

EC’s defense made the difference in the final minutes as it forced the Falcons to punt the ball with 1:30 to play, which set the play for Poole’s go ahead touchdown pass to Payne.

“I knew if the safety went with the inside post that we’d have it,” Poole said. “Its one of my favorite plays and it was the only way to beat the deep coverage and we scored.”

“We always keep the faith here; it isn’t over ’til its over,” Featherstone said. “We work on situations exactly like these during practice for both the offense and defense, and it paid off tonight.”