Soccer goes scoreless vs. Harbor

Forward Christa Peevyhouse fought through ankle injuries and helped the Warriors come away with scoreless tie against rival L.A. Harbor College on Tuesday evening.

The Warriors will try to continue suffocating the opposition with their stellar defense tomorrow at Cerritos College at 2 p.m.

The women’s soccer team ran its record to 3-7-1 and 1-2-1 in the South Coast Conference.

“In the upcoming game, we want to start playing better and scoring more goals,” goalie Danielle Seibel said. “If we do this, we’ll do a lot better and get noticed, so we just need to have our heads in the game.”

On Tuesday, the Warriors played a well-structured defensive game against a very tough offense.

One of the Warriors’ best defenders, Jennifer Vittorio, also sustained an ankle injury in the game, but was still able to play by wearing an air cast and helped her team to keep L.A. Harbor from scoring.

The team has been working hard to improve all defensive attributes, and it showed.

Melissa McKenzie is one player who proves herself as a strong part of the Warriors’ defensive advantage, reversing LA. Harbor’s offensive drives several times during the last game.

While defense is a strong suit for the Warriors, their communication is a weakness that they need to improve on.

” We’ve got to keep everyone spread out and keep talking between the sweeper and fullbacks,” Seibel said.

Positioning players is another detail that is up for improvement before the game against Cerritos because it will help prevent unneeded offsides which somewhat weighed on both teams in the LAHC game.

Focusing on putting the ball in the net and getting open are some strategies that will greatly help the team in upcoming games.

“We just need to score.” coach John Britton said. “We’ve had trouble all year scoring goals.”

Small dust devils swept up into the bleachers as windy game conditions challenged the team’s abilities throughout the game. Passes were directed more toward the players’ feet so that the wind would not throw off progress.

This proved to be a minor obstacle when combined with trying to connect the ball and stay aware of other players’ positions at the same time.

Lots of offensive practice is planned to round out the team’s overall abilities and lead to successful wins in the future. The team would like to get back to the level of scoring where they beat East L.A. 8-0.

The team’s effort and energy, however, needs no improvement; even in a game where both sides were evenly matched the Warriors did not give up or slow down displaying good physical conditioning.

With practice beginning to build confidence among players about shooting on goal, the Warriors’ offense should do well in future games.

Just being able to have shooting opportunities will give the team more opportunities to score goals and begin winning more games.