Soccer teams come out victorious

The men’s soccer team looks to continue its hot streak against conference foe Pasadena City College tomorrow at 4 p.m. at Murdock Stadium.

“It’s going to be a tough and even game, but I think we can pull it out,” assistant coach Eddie Barragan said. “The players know that they can do it.”

Yesterday, the Warriors defeated the East L.A. Huskies 2-1. With the victory they improved their overall record to 4-2-1, and 2-0 in the South Coast Conference.

As conference play started last week, the team gradually has stepped up and looks for a fruitful season.

“We’ve got a lot of talented players. We are starting to work together as a team, at front, specially,” Barragan said.

In the first half of the game against East L.A, midfielder Saul Gonzalez made a free kick about 30 yards from the goal net and took a lead but East L.A. managed to tie the game before the half time.

“It was a really close and tough game,” Barragan said.

The second goal for EC came from forward Jerry Anderson in the second half about 20 minutes before a whistle, securing a victory.

Allowing opponents to score goals for the last three games, EC only gave up one goal this time displaying strong defensive playing.

“We are working on defense in a practice, and defense played a lot better in the game,” Barragan said. “In the game, they showed what we really need to work on.”

With three wins in a row, the Warriors look optimistic and are ready for up coming games.

“Players have confidence now. They are feeling good about the team,” Barragan said.

In a game against Long Beach City on Sept. 24, the team started off losing 1-0 in the first half but rallied its energy and managed to win, 4-2. Following five goals against Chaffey, the team scored four goals.

“We were putting a lot pressure on Long Beach and got a lot of goals the same as with the game against Chaffey,” team captain Kent Hayashi said.

“The team was more focused today than in any previous games,” Gonzalez said. “We are able to score more goals today and hopefully we can keep doing it.”

Women Win as Well

Meanwhile, the women’s soccer team was defeated by defending state champion, Long Beach City 5-0 last Friday.

But the Warriors grabbed a 8-0 overwhelming victory against East L.A Tuesday.

With their overall record of 3-6 and of 1-1 in conference, their next games will be against Pasadena City Friday and L.A. Harbor Tuesday.

“Pasadena City is a very similar team to us, we usually have a very close, competitive game,” coach John Britton said. “We hope to score more goals.”

L.A. Harbor has a similar record to EC so far this season.

“It could be a close game as well as the game against Pasadena City,” Britton said.

During the game against East L.A., the Warriors had four goals in each half, getting goals from six different players.

“It’s tremendous to score eight goals in a single game,” Britton said. “But we did it, so that was great.”

“We managed to strengthen our midfielders, and they created many scoring opportunities,” Britton said. “We could have a few more goals each game if we keep working this way.”

In team sports, it’s always good to know teammates so that a team can function systematically. .

“We’re getting used to each other as a team and playing better,” captain Melissa McKenzie said. “We’re making a opportunity for everyone in the team.”

“We managed to strengthen our midfielders, and they created many scoring opportunities,” Britton said. “We could have a few more goals each game if we keep working