EC sweeps at tournament, shuts down competition

Continuing its undefeated season, the women’s volleyball team has continued to win but it has difficult tests ahead in the San Diego Mesa Tournament this weekend, followed by a match against Santa Monica on Wednesday.

The Warriors are looking forward to the two-day tournament this weekend.

“We think that there is going to be some good competition at this tournament,” assistant coach Richard Blount said.

The team is coming off of a tournament win in Pasadena and a grudge-match victory over Ventura College.

“If there were ever any doubts, people know who we are now,” Blount said.

The team went undefeated at the Pasadena tournament.

“I think we have grown up a little bit during the tournament, but it’s a long season and that is the challenge,” Blount said.

The tournament was a good learning experience where teamwork became the main theme.

“We have a lot of talent and now we are playing together,” Timary More said. “Before, we were playing as individuals and now we are playing as six people working together.”

The team played eight matches in one day at the tournament.

“It was long and fun,” Taryn Tamblyn said.

“But it was totally worth it after we won,” More added.

More won the tournament MVP award for her outstanding play.

“For a middle to look good you need a good setter and good defense. We played amazing defense and Amie Abad played great,” More said.

More, who took a sabbatical from the volleyball after high school, said her recent success has been because of her teammates.

“I think I’ve improved a lot this year,” Moore said. “The whole team has improved; we are playing really well together.”

Tamblyn, along with Abad, Amber Chisholm and Ashlie Cahill, all received first-team all-tournament honors.

“It was really nice to see Ashley on the list,” Blount said.

After winning their bracket, the Warriors were the No. 1 seed in an eight-team playoff.

The team went on and beat Mt. SAC, Bakersfield, and then College of the Canyons in the final.

“We beat a really good team in the finals, and I’m really proud. I think the whole team improved; we’re playing really well,” More said.

Tamblyn agrees that the team is playing better.

“The tournament was great because we finally started “playing like a team,” Tamblyn said.

Before they started “playing as a team” the Warriors defeated Ventura College last Wednesday; 30-20, 30-26, 30-25.

“It was a nice payback,” Blount said. “It was a very satisfying win for us.”

Chisholm led the team with 14 kills and five blocks in the three- game sweep, while More added 13 kills and seven blocks.

Tamblyn, who took over the libero positions after the win at Cypress, had to make some adjustments in her workout routine.

“I’m working really hard. I really really wanted to play after the Cypress game,” Tamblyn said. “I decided to work harder so I wouldn’t miss anymore games.”

The team took on Santa Monica yesterday, but scores were not available by press time.

“Santa Monica looked quite good in the tournament, but unfortunately we didn’t get to play them,” Blount said. “We beat them at their place last year; I suspect they want payback.”

“It’s going to be a good game; we always have respect toward the teams we play.” More said.