Warriors show no mercy against Compton

Bang, boom, smack, there were just no words to describe it.

The baseball team pounded out 26 hits on the way to crushing the Compton College Tartars Tuesday, 32-4.

“I don’t know what the record is, but it’s probably going to be pretty close,” assistant coach Shane Schumaker said. “I’ve never seen thirty runs on a board; it looked like the first quarter of a Laker game.”

It was the third consecutive victory for the Warriors, who improved to 26-5, 17-5 in the South Coast Conference. Meanwhile, the Tartars dropped to 3-29, 1-21.

Before advancing to the playoffs, the Warriors’ season concludes this week with back-to-back games against Los Angeles City College today at Pote Field and tomorrow at Warrior Field. The time for both games is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.

“Those are not one of the top teams,” sophomore Anthony Garcia said. “But if you underestimate any team in baseball, you most likely will get beaten.”

In Tuesday’s game, every starter collected at least one hit on the afternoon, while freshman Faustino Gomez added three hits off the bench, including a three-run home run.

Overall, the Warriors got a lot of production from a few hitters. Five players combined to hit seven doubles, one triple and six home runs. One of those home runs was a grand slam by freshman Kris Medlen, his second home run and second grand slam of the season.

Sophomore Ryan Sharman continued his torrid hitting with two home runs, running up his season total in home runs to a team high of eight.

“Everyone was swinging it,” Sharman said. “The pitching was weaker than what we’re normally used to facing.”

The Warriors batted around in the bottom of the second inning, breaking the game wide open by scoring nine runs. Freshman Joel Weeks highlighted the inning with a bases clearing three-run double.

Weeks went three for four, hitting his first home run of the season and driving in a season high six RBIs.

Starting pitcher Kevin Stiehl pitched six innings to earn the win and improved to 3-1 on the season. The freshman left-hander gave up two runs on three hits while striking out seven.

“Kevin Stiehl threw a hell of a ball game,” Schumaker said. “He hit his spots and was ahead of the count in most of the game. That’s what he has been doing all year for us.”

For 10 sophomores, these last two games represent their last at EC. Bart Babineaux, Daniel Boltares, Tony Faulkner, Garcia, Travis LeBouf, Andy Magana, Evan Mobley, Tommy Salvatierra, Sharman and David Treat will be out of eligibility next year.

However, these sophomores are only thinking about finishing the season strong so that they can carry some momentum into the playoffs.

Sharman agreed, but also said that once it is over it’s going to be very difficult. He is having an excellent season, hitting .370 8 HR 45 RBI’s.

“It’s going to be tough to leave,” Sharman said. “I’ve had a good time playing here and I’m just looking to win these last couple of games and go far in the playoffs.”