Tennis players make a racket in regionals

Communication is key for a strong relationship; there is no exception in doubles tennis.

Competing against some of the best tennis players in the state, the women’s tennis team walked away from the South Coast Conference Tournament April 29 to May 1 with a couple of players still in competition.

After winning in regionals, the doubles team of Briana Dalo and La Marano will travel to Palm Desert today for the state championship.

Dalo and Marano excited

“We both played really well, especially La,” Dalo said. “Our communication was good and our energy was high, which put us in a very positive mood.”

While the women’s tennis team was unable to achieve its goal of becoming conference champion during the regular season, losing out to Cerritos in its final game, two players will look to redeem themselves as they shoot for top honors at the state championships.

“I’m excited that La and I are playing for the championship,” Dalo said. “But I’m nervous because I know I need to play my best because the competition is going to be really tough.”

Dalo and Marano will be entering Palm Desert on high note following a 7-5, 6-3, victory; which Dalo felt was their best victory yet.

The California state championship will end Sunday; eight of the top singles players and doubles teams from Southern California will face the top eight from Northern California.

Team will compete in elimination playoff

The winner from both singles and doubles will be determined in a single elimination playoff. So for Dalo and Marano to win the state championship, they will need to win four straight matches.

“I’m sure that La and Briana are going to do well,” Tracy Kavanaugh said. “They play really well together and you have to be a good team to make it to the state championship. They’ve showed that they are good enough to be there.”

Kavanaugh and her doubles partner, Kim Nguyen, won their first match at the regionals, 6-3, 6-4. But the team was unable to repeat the success they had in their second match and lost, 3-6, 0-6, failing to advance on to state.

Second doubles pair reflects over loss

“We played well the first game because the opponents were good, but not great,” Kavanaugh said. “The second team we faced was very good and was too much for Kim and I.”

While they did advance in doubles, Dalo and Marano suffered defeats at the regionals. Both lost their singles matches; each won their first match but lost their second one.

“I felt that I played my second match better than my first,” Dalo said.

“But my second opponent was ranked number three while I’m not ranked at all. It would have taken a great performance from me and a bad one from her for me to win.”

Dalo and Kavanaugh they believe that next year’s team will be better. If everyone comes back, and with each member having an extra year of experience, all the women expect to be better players.

The women finished in second place this year behind Cerritos, the conference champion during the regular season. Marymount follow in third, followed by Long Beach City and Pasadena finished last.

For the 10th consecutive year in a row, the Warriors have finished either first or second place in the South Coast Conference during the regular season.

Team optimistic about future

The team finished the season with an 8-3 (6-2) record, one of the best winning percentages in the state. With a strong core of players expected to return and almost nobody out of eligibility, the team is expected to be even better next year.

Kavanaugh said she believes the team will be a lot better next year.

“I improved a lot over the year, we all have,” Kavanaugh said.

“And next year I feel that all of us have a good shot at competing for the state championship if we put in enough hard work.”