Golfer gets booted in first round of play

Competing against some of the best golfers in Southern California, Dusty Stumpp knew he had to play his best. But faced with the pressure of competition, along with extreme temperatures, Stumpp couldn’t come through.

Stumpp failed to qualify for the state finals in golf. Stumpp shot a first round of 82 and a second round of 84 in the 36-hole Southern California Regional Championships.

“It was hot and it was a hard course,” Stump said. “Bad things quickly happen out there.”

Stumpp faced similar conditions last week at regionals.

“It felt like one hundred and ten degrees out there. It was just really draining,” Stumpp said.

Stumpp’s first round was hindered by three unplayable lie penalties along with other problems.

“His driver was erratic and he had a little trouble with his putter,” coach Terry Titus said.

“All aspects of my game went bad,” Stumpp said. “It was tough because I got pretty much burnt out by the end of the season. I was playing golf every day.”

“There is a saying, Drive for show and putt for dough. But if the driver doesn’t stay in play, your putter can’t help you out.”

With the season now over, Titus said he looks forward to next year.

“Sometimes we were great. We had our moments,” Titus said.

Titus refers to such memorable moments like when Stumpp was elected to be first-team all- conference

“We should have five returning players, but unfortunately we are going to lose Dusty, Dan Turner, and Andrew Greene,” Titus said.

Following a disappointing season, the team will look to retool. But for now, it can only reflect on the season that was.

“We put in a lot of effort and we tried our hardest, but sometimes it doesn’t work,” Titus said.

“It seems like the whole team had a down year. We should have had the whole team make regional tournament,” Stumpp said.