Golfers refine game for conference

Returning from spring break, the golf team must reestablish its practicing routine. During its time off, the team practiced hard in an effort to earn second place at the South Coast Conference.

Currently, EC is four points away from second place in the SCC standings behind Mt. SAC.

Long Beach City is in first place, having won every tournament so far.

The Warriors have played in four tournaments this season, earning third place in all but one.

“We got second place at a tournament at Recreation Park,” Titus said.

“We have gotten third at El Prado and Griffith Park; Going into our next tournament should be a real plus after the way we have been practicing,” Titus said.

The team had nine days off between tournaments and the players spent their time refining their game and are relaxing, coach Terry Titus said.

The team had a practice round at Alondra golf course Monday in order to tune up for a tournament yesterday at El Dorado. Scores were unavailable at press time.

“Everyone has scored well in practice so they should play well,” Titus said.

The Warriors will host their next competition on April 5 at the Lakewood golf course.

“Every player on the team shot low at our practice round to go into the El Dorado tournament with a great deal of confidence,” Titus said.”Dusty Stumpp has been the most consistent player for the team,” Titus said. “I really expect him to play well and be the team leader in the next tournament.”

Stumpp, in his second year on the team, has experience and is a leader for the team, Titus said.

The team has already practiced on the El Dorado course this season.

“El Dorado is a place where we are more familiar than other teams like Mt. SAC,” Titus said. “It is a course with tricky holes but not a super difficult course.”