Track and Field: Nash, Montgomery perform well in heats

Improving gradually and setting new personal records, freshman-based track and field team went to Bakersfield on a hot streak.

Despite the intensive heat and dry weather at the Bakersfield Relays Saturday, which brought community college competitors from all over California, the Warriors performed well.

Team optimistic about future

“We did as well as we could for the guys we have this year,” coach Dean Lofgren said. “For the most part, everybody is improving.”

While the team has performed well, Lofgren believes more experience can make them even better.

“These meets are still developmental,” Lofgren said. “We are not peaking for these mid season meets.”

The squad will be traveling to the Northridge Relays Saturday, competing against those from various universities, open divisions, and community colleges across Southern California.

“It will be a very competitive but also enjoyable meet,” Lofgren said.

Hard work pays off for Warriors

At the Bakersfield Relays, versatile hurdler and half mile runner Kyle

Montgomery finished 10th with a personal-best of 15.84 in the 110 high hurdles.

He took seventh with 56.36 in the 400m intermediate hurdles, and helped the 1600m relay team of Justin Kalama, Kyle Montgomery, Ryan Bunn, and Emiliano

Nash took fifth place with a season best 3:26.78. Lofgren said Montgomery really pushed himself.

“He runs faster, but he had been under the heat for six hours until his 400 meter hurdles,” Lofgren said. “It was pretty good on that day.”

Lofgren said that the reason for Montgomery’s success is because he is dedicated and hard-working person. That helped him set the record he said.

“I’m trying to get closer and closer to being the best,” Montgomery said.

Montgomery said that the 1600m relay was the highlight of his day.

“I try to focus on things as a team,” Montgomery said. “I want

the relay team to do well.”

Montgomery said that he has developed a friendly rivalry with one of his teammates.

Last year, while in high school, Montgomery said he would see now teammate Justin Kalama at track events. Rivals when attending high school, they are now on the same relay team, passing the baton to each other.

“We are still competing each other, but I’m really happy that he

is on this team,” Montgomery said. “He is one of my best friends now.”

Competition motivates Kalama

Kalama said that they motivate each other.

“He is always ten steps ahead of me,” Kalama said. “He just motivates me keep up there.”

Kalama finished in 15 place with a personal best 16.11 in the 110 high hurdles and even contributed in the 1600m relay team.

“Even though I ran faster on my one hundred and ten hurdles than I did in the last meet, I still know that I’m just improving. I am trying still getting used to the race,” Kalama said. “I know I can go faster on Saturday.”

Despite the absence of the state’s top thrower, Harold Young, there were also some strong marks on the field at the meet.

Learning curve is good enough

Thomas Norcio placed sixth in the pole vault with a personal best

14-0.

Lofgren said that Norcio’s technique was good, especially considering that learning the pole vault is extremely difficult.

Norico also said that she is considering using a longer pole.

“He is dedicated and taking very serious steps in an attempt to improve,” Lofgren said. “His improving curb is very steep.”

Guerin steps up to the plate

Sophomore Darryl Guerin placed seventh in the discus with a throw

of121-10 and finished 10th in the shot put, throwing 43-9.

Andre Rochelle hurled the javelin with a personal best good enough for sixth best all-time in the EC record books.

Rochelle went as high as 157-5, placing him seventh.

“I think I did well because there was a lot of competition that day,” Rochelle said.