Volleyball jumps into playoffs

Sometimes a loss inspires a team to play better. If this is the case for the women’s volleyball team, after losing a crucial match last Wednesday vs. Cerritos in three straight games (30-20, 30-18, 30-24), it might be valuable as EC looks forward to the playoffs.

“We were a little overconfident and I could feel by the way we warmed up that we were going to lose,” Timary More said.

Cerritos came into the match trailing the Warriors by two games in the standings.

“I was kind of concerned after the game about what this will do to our team, but we have had some really hard practices since the loss and responded well in an inspired match against Pasadena,” coach LeValley Pattison said. The loss was the Warriors’ first in league play and might affect whom the Warriors meet in the first round of the playoffs.

On Friday, the Warriors got back to their dominating ways, sweeping the Pasadena City Lancers in three straight games (30-19, 30-20, 30-14). Reigning conference MVP Courtney Spainhour led the team with 15 digs and 23 kills. Her sister, Brittney, contributed with 17 digs; all-around efforts were also received from More, Amie Abad, Amanda White and Amber Chisholm.

The Warriors cleared the bench by the end of the second game and still walked away with an easy third-game win. The substitutes gained valuable experience for the playoffs that start Tuesday.

The Warriors played East L.A. yesterday but scores were unavailable.

Despite being the conference champion for the third straight year, the Warriors are unsure about the postseason. Even if they win the rest of their games, they might open the playoffs on the road.

“I think the loss to Cerritos will help us in the long run and serve as a reminder about what we need to be successful,” Pattison said.