Defending our natural born rights

Rain or shine, the government can never cease giving the people their rights to privacy, speech and so much more.

Major tech company Apple and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are still fighting over trying to unlock the iPhone that was used during the San Bernardino massacre last December.

Although there is a division of opinion on whether or not it’s morally correct for the government to spy on our daily lives, I think that it’s wrong.

People have every right to their own privacy and what they do during their daily lives which is why Apple is so opposed to the FBI to be helping them with the investigation.

FBI director James Comey most recently pushed the dichotomy in an op-ed for Lawfare and explained that although they have new technology to use, it creates a tension between right and wrong.

The government should be more trustworthy of their people instead of hiding behind their desks trying to point their finger at a suspicious character or two.

One of many examples, is that the president introduced a new Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights which will give consumers the right to decide what personal data companies collect from them and how companies use that data, that information; the right to know that your personal information collected for one purpose can’t then be misused by a company for a different purpose; the right to have your information stored securely by companies that are accountable for its use.

The government understands that they need to help their country in making it feel safe again and know what they need to do, however, it’s all in a matter of them actually putting their words into action which is what we are all waiting for.

The people of this country deserve every ability to preserve their right of privacy and their ability to speak out when needing to.