Safety first, fix traffic in future

Along the busy streets that border the campus, it is easy to see students running across one of the busy intersections, most often Manhattan Beach and Crenshaw boulevards, dodging the flow of traffic in time to make it to safely to the other side.

Because most people have grown to view their automobiles as a necessary and helpful commodity, many forget how dangerous automobiles can be to people walking across the turf that they own- the streets.

It could be that the crosswalks are poorly placed, or that there is not an efficient system of stoplights or warnings to drivers about pedestrians crossing.

The current system does not deter some motorists from peeling out in speeds of around 50 miles per hour past the large series of buildings that some drivers forget is a college campus chock full of easy targets.

There was once an organized crosswalk set stretching from Manhattan Beach Boulevard to the entrance of the college’s campus, but after repaving the streets, this aid vanished and has not been seen again since.

But because safety is a concern for students, visitors and staff, awareness is necessary to make sure that there are not frequent accidents along these dangerous intersections.

There could also be a flashing warning light or sign posted above the street that flashes when an automobile exceeds the posted speed limit, as picked up by a radar-reading device, warning the driver to slow down before the campus police have the courtesy of telling them how fast they were traveling.

One stretch of Manhattan Beach Boulevard that could certainly use some warning signs is the area where automobiles are parked along the side of the street, making it hard for people exiting the campus to see around the parked automobile. There is the increased hazard potential of hitting an unsuspecting student trying to cross the street at these locations.

Mirrors on the opposite side of the street or on lightposts could aid drivers in making the best choice of when to hit the pedal and go, or lighted pedestrian crossing signs could help at night to warn drivers to slow down.

Another idea could be to install extra stop signs along the areas of the campus’ border, only until drivers are clear of the range where people are most likely to cross and not congest traffic too much.

As long as there is the combined situation where people and speeding metal machines can come together, there is a need for faculty and students to do everything possible to ensure that the dangerous combination does not become lethal.