Union Editorial: Campus needs active solutions to problems

Little things hurt a lot.

Throughout the semester, the Union covered a series of campuswide problems that affect students, faculty and anyone who walks on college grounds. The problems range from food service to safety issues.

With one student acquiring respiratory problems from the auto shop and another having to drop a class due to broken elevators, here is what has been fixed: Nothing.

Police phones are still out of order; the Activities Center is still raucous and trash-ridden and students still fear walking the dimly lit parking structure.

On the hierarchy of human needs, education comes after safety. Motivation to attend class decreases for students whose cars have been broken into or for students who have been assaulted on their way back to their cars.

It is the collective responsibility of everyone to ensure that we have a safe environment to work and learn in. Students may make use of the Associated Student Organization and the Union, who welcome all input from students so that our voices are heard.

Faculty members should also be in contact with the ASO and the Union newspaper to help ensure that all problems are taken care of. As a reminder, campus police still provide courtesy shuttle services for anyone who does not want to walk to their car.

The ASO may be contacted at (310) 660-2507. The Union may be contacted at (310) 660-3328 or faxed at (310) 660-6092. To call a courtesy shuttle or to speak with the police; the police department may be contacted at (310) 660-3100.