Phone cards are bargains when used well

Be careful of those calling cards because there are so many of them in supermarkets that to choose one is a headache in itself.

The companies selling those cards promise a large amount of minutes for the cheapest price possible.

However, there are a lot of things that must be considered when using one of those calling cards.

First of all, most calling cards deduct minutes that you purchased when a connection is made.

If you purchased a $10 card that gives you 100 minutes, when the person you call answers the phone you automatically lose a certain amount of minutes.

Each company usually determines the amount of minutes deducted for the connection charge.

Also, there is a different connection charge depending on where you call. There is a higher deduction of minutes for long distance calls than there is for local calls.

It also varies depending on whether you call another state or if your long distance call is within the state.

There is also a wide variety of phone cards available at different prices. Prices for these cards can go from $5 to $100.

Calling cards offer fewer minutes for international calls than local cards.

However, be careful not to use a local calling card to make an international call.

If you buy a local calling card worth $20 and use it to call long distance, you will get almost no calling time at all when compared to a $20 long distance card.

Make sure that when you ask for a calling card you are getting the one you wanted. Most calling cards are not refundable and if you get the wrong card you are stuck with it.

In places like 7-11, the clerk will usually ask if you want a local or an international card because they have to register them.

In smaller stores, the clerks usually don’t know whether the card is local or long distance because they come in packages.

The connection charge is usually greater.

Calling cards can be used through any phone, even through cell phones.

Even though calling cards provide a certain amount of minutes and no charge to the phone, it’s not the same with cell phones.

When using a calling card on a cell phone, you lose minutes on your calling card and your monthly minutes on your cell phone.

When the phone card runs out of minutes, your cell phone can automatically pick up the call and begin applying any fees. That means money you must pay.

I found that information out the hard way when my dad bought a phone card and he used my cell phone and talked for more than an hour.

Unfortunately for me, the card my dad was using gave him no warning that his time was running out.

Not only did I lose 60 minutes on my phone plan, but also my father’s calling card only covered about 30 minutes of long distance. The rest was charged to my bill as an international call.

I ended up paying more than $130 in extra fees because of my dad’s brilliant idea.

In the end, phone cards are convenient and cheap. However, you must be careful when you use and buy them.