El Camino College journalism students win big at New York conference

Nindiya Maheswari (left), Brittany Parris, Igor Colonno, Eddy Cermeno, Khoury Williams, Stefanie Frith, Ethan Cohen and Greg Fontanilla celebrate together after winning numerous awards at the College Media Association Convention hosted in New York on March 11. (Photo courtesy of Rosemary Montalvo)

The Union’s seven-student delegation made a triumphant return from the 2023 College Media Association Spring National College Media Convention in New York City, having scooped up an impressive 20 awards.

Top awards included: First place Best Newspaper Best News Website, Second place Best Multimedia Package, and Third place Best Two-Year College Magazine for publication Warrior Life.

Editor-in-Chief of The Union Khoury Williams said it “feels amazing” when looking back at the life-changing event.

“The team we’ve been able to build over the last year has been absolutely phenomenal,” Williams said. “[The staff] all deserve the awards they won because they put so much hard work into this.”

This was Williams’ second visit to New York City for the College Media Association, or CMA, Convention and this time it felt more special to him.

Igor Colonno (top left), Eddy Cermeno, Khoury Williams, Nindiya Maheswari (bottom left), Brittany Parris and Greg Fontanilla explore the sights and shops in Times Square, New York. Times Square's brightly-lit billboards can cost advertisers anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 per day. (Greg Fontanilla | The Union)
Igor Colonno (top left), Eddy Cermeno, Khoury Williams, Nindiya Maheswari (bottom left), Brittany Parris and Greg Fontanilla explore the sights and shops in Times Square, New York. Times Square’s brightly-lit billboards can cost advertisers anywhere from $5,000 to $50,000 per day. (Greg Fontanilla | The Union)

Stefanie Frith, student media adviser and journalism professor, couldn’t agree more.

“It’s a real honor when they pick up one of these awards,” Frith said.

The College Media Association convention is more than just award shows, it’s a weekend-long event that provides valuable workshops for students looking to work in the industry and the opportunity to network with attendees and media professionals.

“There’s more to it than ‘we’re going to this competition’ or ‘we’re going to go to this thing that offers workshops,” Frith said. “It’s an opportunity to get some life experience…they usually come back even more excited for the journalism industry.”

This year the student delegation had the privilege of having lunch at NBC Studios at 30 Rockefeller Plaza and a meeting with Executive Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion of NBCU News Group Yvette Miley. A tour of the newsroom and the set of “The Tonight Show” were also part of the experience.

Members of The Union met with Yvette
Members of The Union met with Executive Vice President of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion of NBCU News Group Yvette Miley in New York. (Photo courtesy of Stefanie Frith)

El Camino College is one of two California colleges and the only community college to have a partnership with the NBCUniversal Academy. The partnership provided a $100,000 scholarship fund split between 20 students and valuable networking and work opportunities.

Greg Fontanilla, sports editor and co-photo editor of The Union, considers his experience that weekend to be rewarding.

“This conference was very eye-opening,” Fontanilla said. “We got to network and connect with some higher-ups who work with NBC.”

Managing, News and co-Photo Editor Ethan Cohen (left) and Managing Editor of The New York Times Marc Lacey after his keynote at the College Media Association conference in New York City. (Photo courtesy of Ethan Cohen)

“Hearing the stories of others who made it in this business was very life-changing…I’m sure [the other six delegates] can tell you the same thing,” Fontanilla said.

Delfino Camacho, The Union’s social media editor, followed the events through Twitter.

“It almost felt like I was there in New York,” Camacho said. “Anytime they texted [or] tweeted something I read it immediately.”

This was how he found out he had won first place for Best Newspaper Column and third place for Best Headline Portfolio.

“That’s why those tweets are so great,” Camacho said. “We do them so we can get a sense back home of what they’re learning over there during the conference.”

A view of the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island Ferry route in New York on March 11. The ferry travels over 5 miles between Manhattan and Staten Island. (Greg Fontanilla | The Union)

For others, the awards the El Camino College journalism department won were validating.

Editor-in-Chief of Warrior Life Magazine, Elsa Rosales, which won Best Two-Year-College Magazine, praised the work of journalism advisers and support staff.

“We have an incredible team because of the experience of advisors, Stefanie Frith and Kate McLaughlin, and the support staff Jessica Martinez and Jack Mulkey,” Rosales said. “It’s an incredible staff we have to help us put everything together.”

David L. Adams Apple Awards:

Two-year College Student Newspaper: First Place – The Union
Best Newspaper Website: First Place – The Union
Best News Website: Second Place – The Union
Best Multimedia Package: Second Place – The Union
Best Two-year College Magazine: Third Place – Warrior Life

College Media Association Award Winners:

Best News Video: First Place – Maureen Linzaga
Best Sports Story: First Place – Greg Fontanilla
Best Newspaper Column: First Place – Delfino Camacho
Best Magazine Story: First Place – Khoury Williams
Best Feature Story: Second Place – Kim McGill
Best Arts and Entertainment Story: Second Place – Nindiya A Maheswari Putri
Best Sports Photograph: Second Place – Greg Fontanilla
Best Feature Photograph: Second Place – Ash Hallas
Best Editorial Cartoon: Third Place – Maureen Linzaga
Best Newspaper Front Page Design: Third Place – Khoury Williams and Ethan Cohen
Best Non-Breaking News Story: Third Place – Khoury Williams and Ethan Cohen
Best Breaking News Story: Third Place – Ethan Cohen
Best Magazine Photo: Third Place – Gary Kohatsu
Best Newspaper Inside Page/Spread Design: Third Place – Anthony Lipari
Best Headline Portfolio: Third Place – Delfino Camacho

JACC Publication Award Winners:

General Excellence (Print): Meritorious – The Union
General Excellence (Online): Meritorious – The Union
General Excellence Magazine: Meritorious – Warrior Life
Feature story (non-profile): First Place – Kim McGill
Magazine Illustration: Second Place – Jesse Miranda
Magazine Profile Article: Third Place – Greg Fontanilla
Feature Photo: Fourth Place – Ash Hallas
Informational Graphic: Fourth Place – Anthony Lipari
Sports Feature Photo: Fourth Place – Greg Fontanilla
Inside Page Layout (both broadsheet and tabloid): Fourth Place – Anthony Lipari
Front Page Layout (both broadsheet and tabloid): Fourth Place – Ethan Cohen, Khoury Williams
Magazine Illustration: Fourth Place – Maureen Linzaga
Illustration: Honorable mention – Vo Khanh
Column Writing: Honorable mention – Delfino Camacho
News Photo: Honorable mention – Ethan Cohen

Editor’s Note: Clarified where The Union toured at NBC Studios; The Union did not tour the set of “Good Morning America” on Monday, April 17, at 10:55 a.m.