Filed under News, Top Stories

Student is allegedly robbed for cash by three suspects with knives on Redondo Beach Boulevard and Stadium Way

Update: May 16, 2017 at noon – The victim was identified as a student, according to an email from El Camino Police Chief Michael Trevis.

A student was allegedly robbed of money by three unknown suspects armed with knives on Monday, May 15 around 6:32 p.m., according to an email from El Camino’s chief of police.

The alleged robbery happened at the apartments in front of Alondra Park near Redondo Beach Boulevard and Stadium Way, closest to parking lots H and F, Christina Baskin, who wanted to be named as Dispatcher 42, said.

The three-alleged suspects were described as a white male, an African-American male and a Hispanic male all in their early 20s, according to Nixle.com.

Nixle is an alert system that El Camino Police uses to alert the campus and community about any incidents or situations.

To sign up for Nixle text “ECPD” to 888-77.

Dispatcher 42 referred all questions to Director of Community Relations Ann Garten’s office.

This is the first reported robbery, via Nixle, this semester and it’s also the first time in the last year that a reported robbery was on the southside of campus.

EC police chief Michael Trevis said that there will be “extra patrol” in that area.

In fall 2016, the school recorded a total of five robberies, all at gunpoint, on the north side of campus near Manhattan Beach Boulevard and Lemoli Avenue.

Following several of the robberies, campus police began to station an officer on the that side of campus, a decision that has been kept in place this semester, as police presence can be seen on Manhattan Beach Boulevard during the day.