ASO approves extra money for finals Madness, resumes talks on hydration stations

The Associated Student Organization (ASO) approved an extra $100 for finals madness and resumed talks about placing hydration stations around campus at their meeting Thursday afternoon.

Finals madness is an event ASO hosts at the end of the semester to provide students a place on campus to study at night.

ASO also approved $3,000 for their end of the year banquet, $500 for leadership awards, $500 for the commencement speaker and $1,500 for senate banners. Although the $500 was approved for the commencement speaker, it was discussed that El Camino football and former NFL player Derrick Deese would be donating the money rather than taking it.

Talks of placing hydration stations around campus were brought back up by student trustee Eman Dalili.

“You can either lease it. If you lease one of four it’s $200 a month for 36 months,” Dalili said. ” If you lease five or more it’s $150 a month, or you can purchase one through four for $5,000 or five or more for $3,500.”

The hydration stations go along with ASO’s sustainability program to be a more eco-friendly campus.

“I think it’s something that we can do that will have a nice legacy for ASO,” Dalili said. “It’ll save a lot of trees, a lot of bottles and save a lot of lives.”

Locations for the stations have yet to be determined, as ASO has to get approval by the facilities department first. The hydration stations will not be replacing water fountains, Dalili said.

Among other business, Pete Marcoux, vice president of technology for Academic Senate updated ASO on the switch from Etudes over to Canvas for the online learning program.

“All community colleges using Canvas, when a student enrolls in a course they can not only choose a course on their campus, but if the course on our campus is closed you can go to any other campus in the exchange and you don’t have to fill out the application,” Marcoux said. “You wont also have to email your transcript to the other school, it’ll automatically show up on yours.”

The new system is expected to roll out in about 18 months if the school chooses to use Canvas as the new program, according to Marcoux.

The next ASO meeting is on April 21 at 1 p.m. in the Alondra Room.