Former student accused of threatening to kill professor released on $350,000 bail

The student accused of threatening an El Camino professor was scheduled for an arraignment at the Torrance Courthouse on Tuesday, according to a Daily Breeze article.

Dashiell Porter is a 28-year-old former student who is accused of making multiple threats over Facebook Messenger to English professor Cynthia Somin.

According to the Daily Breeze article, Porter made bail, which was set at $350,000 and was released Tuesday afternoon.

Porter was in Somin’s class, and after receiving a grade, he sent his first threat on Jan. 6, 2015, according to the temporary restraining order (TRO) filed against him on Dec. 30, 2015.

“You (expletive) (expletive) (expletive)” Porter messaged Somin at 10:17 a.m., according to the TRO.

He continued to send 13 more messages through Facebook Messenger until Somin discovered the messages around Dec. 26, 2015, according to the TRO.

“I’m coming to kill you tomorrow!!!! (Gun’s loaded),” Porter’s final message said on Dec. 8, 2015.

Porter’s temporary restraining order lasted until Jan. 20 when Torrance judge Carol Boas Goodson denied the permanent restraining order.

The Union reached out to get information regarding Porter and updates on his case/trial.

El Camino’s lawyer Michael Travis was emailed regarding an update on Porter’s situation.

“A case update was recently published in the Daily Breeze,” Travis said in an email addressed to a Union editor where he attached a link to the Daily Breeze article.

The Union also contacted Community Relations Director, Ann Garten, for information on the Porter case.

“Dash Porter is currently not a student at ECC. That was the same information I provided to the Daily Breeze,” Garten said in an email.