ABC7’s Marc Brown visits El Camino for Black History Month event

ABC7 Eyewitness News co-anchor Marc Brown spoke at the 2016 African American Student Conference in the East Dining Room on Thursday Feb. 18. Brown spoke about his experiences in broadcasting and how got to the position that he is in today. Photo credit: John Fordiani

It was a full house in the East Dining Room as the audience awaited the arrival of guest speaker, Marc Brown, for the African-American Student Conference on Thursday.

The ABC7 Eyewitness News co-anchor was welcomed with cheers as he made his way to the microphone.

“(The presentation) was incredible and it was a pleasure to be able to enjoy it being inches away from him,” Nilan Ross, 24, kinesiology major said. “It’s so much different than watching him on TV, this was a once in a lifetime experience that you just had to see to believe.”

Brown is no stranger to the South Bay considering he graduated from Narbonne High School and a few years later from the University of Southern California.

“This was great, it reminded me of when I was a student,” Brown said. “I wanted to give some inspiration to the young people and to (encourage) them to follow their dreams.”

Brown spoke about the obstacles that he experienced on his path to success, his ability to overcome rejection and to focus on getting better.

“The (end) was my favorite part,” Ross said. “He told the students to never give up and to keep pushing forward and eventually your dreams will come true. It was really inspiring.”

Brown also touched on topics such as his personal experiences of discrimination and how he has used that fuel his determination to be the best.

“I want be just like (Brown), but i want to report the weather,” Wade Collins, 52, meteorology major said. “My concern was facing the same problems as him, being an African-American. His positive outlook and focus has really inspired me to continue on and reach my goals.”

Brown ended the presentation with taking pictures and questions from attendees.

“I would love to speak again at El Camino,” Brown said. “Especially with the reception I received today, everything was great.”

To conclude Black History Month celebrations, the Annual-African Read-In will take place Tuesday in the East Dining Room at 1 p.m. and on Thursday, “Taste of Soul Gospel Brunch” will take place at noon in the East Dining Room.