Bike to El Camino College Day to take place Thursday

The Sustainability Committee is hosting the Second Annual Bike to ECC Day on Thursday  in conjunction with Metros Bike to Work Day.

In it’s efforts to fulfill its goal of creating a green, more sustainable campus environment, the Associated Students Organization (ASO) Sustainability Committee is preparing to host its second annual Bike to School day.

Dillan Horton, ASO Vice President, said ASO has conducted a census of the number of bikes on campus, one week prior to the event. The bike census will be used for the advertisement of the event Tuesday, when bikes around campus will be tagged with event fliers.

“We have a designated pit stop that will be on Crenshaw between the Humanities and the Administration Building, we have goodies for people who ride their bike on that day,” Irene Graff, the Director of Institutional Research said.

Although many like Metro will celebrate National Bike Week for an entire week, EC will only be hosting the Bike to work/school on Thursday.

“It’s difficult to manage an all-week event,” Horton said. “It’s an entirely student-run organization so people have classes, a good portion of them work as well so to do an all week event the majority of the day we have to have a student at that booth or at that location handling that event all hours of the day.”

The committee has hosted other events, which aim at creating a more ecologically friendly campus, such as Earth Week and has had recycling competitions.

“The College has seven strategic initiatives and these are college goals that we’d like to achieve to help our college be better and strategic initiative G tries to have our college become more sustainable environmentally,” Graff said.

Through his experience in ASO, Horton said they have found that the reason that students on campus feel it is difficult to lead “sustainable” lives on and off of campus is that they feel that they do not have the resources to help them.

“What we have to be able to show people is that there are simple and easy things for them to do that wouldn’t be going out of their way that’s not going to cost them too much as far as time, effort and resources,” Horton said.