New schedules for Torrance Transit buses

Not serving El Camino students the way it would have liked to, Torrance Transit has made changes to its routes and bus schedule, which will take effect on Sunday, a Torrance City Official said.

“I think it’s really going to change the way El Camino students really think about transit and get to school because that was a big issue for us,” Bradley Tolloson, management aid for Torrance Transit, said.

“We knew that El Camino students weren’t being served as well they could’ve been. We know they need it the most because many of them are just getting out of high school and they don’t have a car or maybe they’re just trying to save money to pay for books and tuition,” Tolloson said.

Line 2, which many students take to reach EC, has made changes to its schedule and its last stop on the route.

“We have increased the time it runs, so it now runs from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and the difference is right now it only runs from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.,” Tolloson said.

“That line does not go to downtown L.A. anymore, it goes to the Harbor Freeway Greenline Station,” Tolloson added.

Line 5 will also be running later, which will allow students who take night classes a source of transportation to get home.

“The people in the night classes will finally be able to take a bus home; now they won’t have to try to find an alternative for getting home,” Kyle Ihde, psychology major, 19, said.

“The biggest impact is they’ll be able to get to school and for those night classes they’ll be able to get home from school as well,” Tolloson said.

Torrance Transit has created a new bus which is Line 10 that will run much more frequently than the other transit buses.

“The other line we’ve created is the new line 10 which will run north and south down Crenshaw Boulevard, which will start at Crenshaw and PCH, then in route at Crenshaw Greenline Station, and it will run from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.,” Tolloson said.

The transit will continue to also to give students a discount for their bus fare. Students must show ID before paying bus driver in order to receive the discount.

“I definitely think it helps because there are a lot of students on campus that can’t afford to pay $2 a day to pay for going to school every day,” Ihde said.

The Torrance transit will look to make more changes so to stay on top of all changes students should go their website at www.torranceca.gov.

“We encourage all students to check all our new changes, and if they go to a section called what’s new on our website they can see a laundry list of service changes,” Tolloson said.