Great ShakeOut drill today

In preparation for a possible earthquake, EC and other schools and businesses around the world will be participating the Great ShakeOut today at 10:18 a.m.

The ShakeOut is an emergency drill where student must find a place to cover up, follow an escape route, meet up in a safe location and form an overall emergency plan, according to a newsletter on Elcamino.edu.

“I think that students are going to feel satisfied and confident that by practicing, they’ll know what to do if we experience an actual earthquake.” Rocky Bonura, director of business services, said.

The first step of the drill will be an imagined earthquake.

“At 10:18 am, all faculty, students and staff will drop, cover
and hold on,” according to Elcamino.edu.

The second step will be evacuation. Students will have to “identify emergency personnel,” who will then lead students to a safe spot, Banura said.

“They will wear bright-colored vests that will identify them as building captains or floor leaders,” added Banura.

Once evacuated, students will have a chance to gather in their designated areas to perhaps discuss their emergency plans.

However, some students would prefer to continue working on their schoolwork.

“I kinda wish it wasn’t in the middle of my class,” Edgar Diaz, 23, music major, said.

Some students, on the other hand, welcome the idea of the 30 to 45 minute respite from class.

“Honestly, I think it’s a good idea,” Lance Fujimoto, 22, auto technology major, said. “We are in earthquake zone. Earthquakes, they just happen. I don’t mind the 40 minutes.”

The ShakeOut has been such a success in the past four years, that the once California based program, is now spreading worldwide, Bonura said.

According to shakeout.org/california,  other states and countries will also participate like, Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Canada and Southern Italy.

Students can visit shakout.org/California for more information.

Bonura says that although “we haven’t seen a real disaster,” it is important to be prepared.