Filthy bathrooms are a norm during first week of classes

A trip to the bathroom during the first week of classes consists of walking from stall to stall checking for the cleanest one to use and finding that the only useable toilet paper available is scattered conveniently on the floor.

Filthy bathrooms have been an ongoing issue for the first week of classes each semester for as long as anyone can remember.

In a 2008 an article published on the Union’s October edition expressed similar concerns.

“No liquid soap in the machine, no paper towels, the trashcans are overflowing with paper towels and the floors are all wet,” PJ Ramiro wrote.

Four years after the article was published, students on campus are found experiencing the same problem. Many have  noticed a distinction in the way bathrooms in the older and newly built buildings are maintained.

“The newer buildings are pretty clean,” Jessica Beauchamp, 19, liberal studies major said.

Beauchamp disclosed that bathrooms in the Humanities Building are clean and describes those in the Communications Building as “not that great.”

The reason for the continued disorder is not the lack of staff.

Maintenance staff who have 12 month contracts work for six hours each day while those on 10 month contracts work for eight hours.

“There is a lot of graffiti in the [men’s] restrooms,” Anthony Bello, 19,radiology major said.