Computer glitch causes financial aid delays

About 1,500 students at EC will not be receiving their financial aid on time due to a computer glitch in the college’s new computer system, director of financial aid, Hortense Cooper said.

The new computer system was recently implemented by the Department of Education causing financial aid for students to be delayed.

However, full-time students can expect to receive their financial aid by the end of the week while part-time students can expect to receive their funds next week.

“I don’t really understand the situation so I guess we will just have to wait and bear with the system,” Neil Newman, 19, nursing major said.

Some students have received fee waivers in order to pay for their tuition but have to wait for their funds in order to pay for their textbooks.

“If I don’t get my books on time, then I know that it is going to hurt my classes for sure and I can’t always be in the library because I have work,” Martha Quezada, 22. journalism major, said.

Quezada added that she needs her financial aid in order to pay for her required textbooks this semester and that she already knows some students who have had to drop classes because of the issue.

“If students receive a disbursement and either have dropped all of their classes or plan to drop, then they should return their funds to financial aid,” Cooper added.

Students who drop their classes and do not return their funds will be invoking “institutional liability,” which will cause the school and the student to be fined for the student’s actions, Cooper added.