Men soliciting tickets in classrooms concerns students and faculty

Claiming to raise money on behalf of Student Affairs, two young males entered a Humanities Building classroom  on May 17 in efforts to solicit $5 paintball discount tickets.

The two unnamed salesmen were said to be making an announcement on behalf of  Student Affairs, in order to sell the tickets to students in various classrooms throughout campus. The tickets that were being sold were said to be used for discounts at various paintball locations.

“The two salesman seemed as if they knew what they were doing and had done this before,” Susan Bachmann, English professor, said.

Elise Geraghty, associated dean of humanities, said when student’s have announcements, they must first contact the department in which the announcement is being made and request approval to go in classrooms.

Sarah Bremme, 18, journalism major said, the two salesmen started to ask for donations, as the discount cards would be sold for $5.  Credit card numbers were also a substitute for funds if students did not have cash on hand, Bremme added.

The money exchange occurring in the classroom caused Bachmann to contact the Associated Students Office,  and later found out that the announcement was falsified and the students were not part of student affairs.

With investigation from the EC police department, the tickets were found to not be fraudulent and could be used at the various paintball facilities listed on the ticket, however misrepresenting themselves as student workers to solicit these tickets was “unacceptable behavior”, Geraghty said.

“I was just concerned and wanted to make sure it wasn’t fraudulent  and that I’ d keep the students safe and make sure that in no way  this was a scam,” Bachmann said.