Class repeatability limitation concerns students

Severe budget cuts have left California Community officials struggling to meet student’s needs.

The California College Board of Governors met on May 14 to discuss a proposal that would stop repeat enrollment in state-funded courses.

The regulation is designed to prevent students from repeatedly enrolling in courses such as physical education, visual arts and performing arts classes in music, theater and dance.

“I enjoy  taking  P.E classes more than once because you can benefit from it outside of class,” Esteban Oduca, 20, fire technology major, said.

The recommended change is intended to support the California Community Colleges’ Student Success Task Force goal to better align courses with students’ educational plans and needs.

This proposal will only allow students who major in fine arts to repeat courses to more than once.

At EC and other community colleges in California, students often rely on P.E, visual and performing arts classes for exercise, self-defense and completing the number of credits to be considered a full- time student.

“I don think this is fair, taking a class like self-defense in one semester can’t guarantee the full benefit of the class,” Elizabeth Taylor, 30 exercise science major, said.

The policy change was submitted on Monday at the first hearing.

If the policy is approved, the second hearing will take place on July 9 and 10 at the board of governors meeting.

Once the policy is passed, it will take effect fall 2013. The regulation policy not only has been reviewed by the board of governors, but by each community college.

“That’s for future consideration, right now summer and fall are fine,” Bill Mulrooney, said.  “There is discussion to limit those classes im just one trial unless you are an athlete, we don’t know yet, it might change two or three times. Fortunately, some of the things proposed in Scaramento were radical,” Mulrooney said.

colleges academic senate.

“I would assume it would have a bad effect on student especially those in the arts.” Rebekka Asher, ASO president said.

California Community College system in 2011-2012 academic year took a $502 million pay cut that forced campuses to reduce course offerings at a time when more students than ever are seeking admission.

“These classes contribute to the well roundness of students,” Taylor said.