Students find alternative ways to stay focused with drugs and alcohol

With stress levels rising due to approaching exams, some college students might find alternatives ways to stay alert and improve their concentration by turning to drugs or alcohol.

“Individuals who abuse drugs and alcohol both legal and illegal may have underline problems such as anxiety, stress, or depression,” Debbie Conover, coordinator of student health services said.

According to The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse website, “49 percent of full-time college students binge drink or abuse prescription and illegal drugs.”

Some students find substances like marijuana to help ease the stresses of balancing college with other responsibilities, such as taking care of a family or working long hours.

“When I use marijuana, I feel relaxed and I can concentrate more, I also feel it motivates me to do even more than what I am doing.” Oscar, 25, engineering major said.

Students like Caroline, 25, criminal justice major said that edible substances ease the stresses of college.

“When school and other issues begin to stress me out I normally eat a ‘hubby bar’ which contains 30 milligrams of weed,” Caroline, 25, criminal justice major said.

However, for some students, using the prescription drug, Adderall.

Adderall, which is meant to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is ‘a problem with inattentiveness, over-activity, impulsivity, or a combination’ according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine website.

While it helps students who have the ADHD disorder, those without the diagnosed condition use it to help themselves stay focused although it can become a problem if used without proper medical care.

According to The National Survey on Drug Use and Health, by the federal government, “College students aged 18-22 were twice as likely to abuse Adderall, than non students from the same age group.”

Adderall contains amphetamine and extroamphetamine which can be habit-forming if those who use it don’t have ADHD.

Out of all the regulated substances, alcohol seems to be the most predominant one among students as it is easier to get.

“I like to drink, but mostly I do it when I am with friends, it helps me with stress and keeps me relaxed,” Carlos, 25, administration of justice, said.

Alcohol consumption can trigger parts of the brain to better learn and remember.

According to the College Drinking Prevention website, the dangers of drinking outnumber the positive effects by far and “Thirty-one percent of college students met criteria for a diagnosis of alcohol abuse and 6 percent for a diagnosis of alcohol dependence in the past 12 months.”

While alcohol is legal for people ages 21 and over, it doesn’t deter those underage to find alcohol to consume.

“I would say the most abused substance is alcohol, because it’s everywhere, even at home.” Conover added.