Parking structure damage might affect students in the fall

Plans are in progress to fix the deteriorating west drive lane in parking lot structure F that has caused the closure of 400 parking spaces.

The structure is located on Manhattan Beach Boulevard and is right next to Alondra Park.

“We don’t know the actual cost to repair the west drive lane, but we’re looking at $13 million.” Thomas Brown, assistant director of facilities planning and services, said. “The best we could hope for is to do the necessary modifications for the fall semester and open up 200 parking stalls in the fall.”

To help pay for the work, a bond fund that voters approved in 2002 would be used because it allows for money that can be used for parking. That same bond also helped pay for parking structure H on Redondo Beach Boulevard which is five stories.

“We don’t have the current money for this in our bond,” Brown said. “We have to repair it and bring it up to seismic and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) codes.”

The extension of the damage won’t be known until more concrete is dug up.

“We’ll try to do that as soon as possible so were not displacing parking in the fall,” Jeanie Nishime, vice president of student and community advancement, said. “Right now, things are calm but the first few weeks of the semester parking is always crazy so to be without 400 parking spaces would greatly impact students.”

Photovoltaic structures, which are also known as solar panels are also being considered so that parking structure F, would provide its own electricity thus becoming self-sustaining.

“We’re always concerned about environment and renewable energy and it’s an option we’re exploring.” Brown said. “It’s a great statement for the future but nothing is finalized.”

Building another story on top of parking lot structure F or adding solar panels would be an additional cost that is unknown at the moment.

“I think all the parking structures are vital because as the population on campus increases the need for parking increases.” Vicki Fleming, undecided major, said. “I think it’s really important especially because more and more students are probably going to be coming to EC and with classes being cut I think that a lot of students that might not go on to a university are going to end up at here so they’re going to need more parking.”

The cost, payback and viability of adding another story to parking structure F are also being discussed.

“That’s been discussed but that’s all it is right now because there are other factors we need to explore.” Brown said. “We’re always concerned about the environment and renewable energy.”

Bryan Reyes, 19, pre-med major said. “Especially at the beginning of the semester, there’s no parking whatsoever for anyone.”

Parking Lot Structure F was built in 1968 and is the oldest parking structure at EC.

Daniel Morales, 19, automotive collision major said. “That’s my favorite place to park on campus.”

The parking lot structure has 1,700 parking spaces.

“It’s the oldest parking structure on campus and from what I understand it’s unique.” Nishime said. “There’s no new structure like that for half a mile.