Food options on campus

It’s noon. Students are hungry and heading toward the most convenient spot to fill their stomachs. An often busy Cafe Camino, located by the Humanities Building, has a line of students waiting to use the only available microwave for students on campus, whether one buys food from there or not. Another microwave is available for student use but at the Common Ground, it’s strictly for customers.

While some students purchase food on campus, other students pack their own lunch as prices on campus can be a bit pricey.

“The food here is too expensive and the choices are all bad. I just don’t eat when I’m here, I go

without food,” Ugochi Amokwute, 19, biology major said.

Some students run across the street on Crenshaw Boulevard for the fast food places but only if they have enough time in between classes, while other students stay on campus, if the price is right.

Students like Betsy Rodriguez, 23, french major said that she has bought food from Cafe Camino but has been disappointed with the quantity of the food she pays for.

“The choices could be better, I mean when you buy the chicken tenders plate, you’re basicallypaying for the fries,” Rodriguez said. “The plate is loaded up on fries, it’s the majority of the meal.”

The cheapest food item on campus is a piece of toast from Café Camino which will only cost a couple of quarters.

While there’s different food choices on campus, a few would alter some dishes to cater to other needs rather than just filling you up.

Ryan Carmona, 20, undecided major, would like to see protein available for athletes that are training. For example, something “outside of the bun.”

“If you need to get ready for some serious training there needs to be more dishes that are better than the burger or chicken sandwiches,” he said.

There are also students on campus who are vegans and they have a few choices as well. At the Common Ground they have vegetarian crepes and fruit and yogurt in a cup. However, for a vegan lunch it will cost students close to $5.

Other food options consist of sushi, asian noodles and a full breakfast menu.

Full meals are available at the Manhattan Grill, where they offer chicken parmesan and spaghetti and meatballs.

For students in search of a protein drink to quench their thirst, those are available in some places on campus and cost around $3 to $4.

While most students on campus are busy and cannot stop, sit down and eat a proper meal, snacks are also available. Fruits like bananas, apples and oranges are available but at the price of $1.

“Some places aren’t so bad, the grilled chicken sandwich at the café near the Arts Building is a

good buy and I personally like the crepes,” James Erebholo, 22, communication major said.

There is something for everyone if you’ve got the appetite and the cash. If not, there is always a microwave.